Busy weekend for the Masters of the Universe

Started by John Raabe, October 10, 2008, 10:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I don't know why but Seattle is a place where a lot of urban unrest first surfaces.

Maybe it's suppressed anger at authorities (Seattle is one of the few cites that actually obey the walk/don't walk signs). We wouldn't think of jaywalking, but we're the first to get rowdy about the WTO. >:(

Then again maybe it's just a powerful combination of not enough sunshine and too much coffee. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peternap

Quote from: ScottA on October 13, 2008, 03:32:05 PM
Short covering, bargin shopping and government money buying stocks pushed the market up today. Look for it to go back down in the comming days.

Short covering started it in pre market and continued into opening (I'm talking about MS) Then the wishIhads and Momentum buyers started. Your right Scott....It will go down, maybe not tomorrow but I'm sure this week. The problem is still there. It is possible, not probable but possible, MS tries to fill the gap tomorrow. I'm out until the next crisis, so I don't really care.

But all I can do about the problem is watch it. Until the stores start taking barter, I'll keep working this unbelievably predictable market. There was some serious money made today. I made enough to buy another piece of land (at discount prices) but I talked to several people that officially retired today.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

muldoon

I don't know how long this rally lasts, it honestly could be weeks to months.  It depends on a few variables, notably credit markets and bond markets.  If credit opens and banks lend it could go on much longer than a week.  If the bond market plays ball too it could last till the end of the year. 

Again, I wouldn't say anything is off the table right now.  We are literally in uncharted waters.  I wont be playing this market for the most part at all.  I have some puts on TLT and thats it.   This is part of my bet that I think treasuries get hammered over this bailout.  (it's gambling not investing).  I picked up leap puts on a 100 strike price and am already way up, I think this can get some real legs in the next few days tho.

I have been giving this whole thing a lot of thought and have 4 or 5 plausible scenarios as for where we go from here.  I'll try to post them tomorrow if time allows.  I cant post the details, but things are shaky at work right now so I'm not sure how much time I'll have.

John Raabe

I have started a fresh Monday night thread with a new George Friedman update from Stratfor.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5392.msg68393#msg68393

Question to those interested in these economic issue threads:
Would it make sense to have this discussion in one long thread where all updates are threaded by posting times? Or, should we leave it the way it is now, freely open to the creation of new economic themed threads?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I like it separate but I'm a minor here, and will leave it to the pros to decide...and I'll just follow along which ever way it goes.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Here's a little something for you Glenn.

From a 60's radical, 70's ski instructor, 80's Government Official, 90's business owner, 2000's Redneck Radical and hermit in training c*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNM2K8cmU8
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

muldoon

Quote from: John Raabe on October 14, 2008, 12:40:01 AM
Question to those interested in these economic issue threads:
Would it make sense to have this discussion in one long thread where all updates are threaded by posting times? Or, should we leave it the way it is now, freely open to the creation of new economic themed threads?

It's up to you John, I'll try to follow any posting guidelines you set. I imagine others would as well.   

I would prefer to be able to let old threads die off and start new ones as time wears on.  On the same hand I don't think we need more than just a few going at any time either.  I think were all trying to collectively figure out where we stand and where were headed so whatever is easiest for the other folks is fine with me. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: peternap on October 14, 2008, 01:39:36 AM
Here's a little something for you Glenn.

From a 60's radical, 70's ski instructor, 80's Government Official, 90's business owner, 2000's Redneck Radical and hermit in training c*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNM2K8cmU8

Crimoney -- Peter --- that's an oldie --- and I remember it --- we couldn't possibly last that long could we?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Looks like the market is dropping off a bit already this morning. Of course it could all change in an hour or two. Manic depressive. How is the popcorn holding out Peter?  c*
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.