Window openning too small

Started by bradjulia, July 17, 2006, 09:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradjulia

Hi Everone,
I made a pretty amateur mistake.  The windows I ordered for my cabin are the same size as the openings.  On top of that, because of some settling the openings are not as square as they were 12 months ago.

Wht is the best way to fix this?  Should I plane the window openings?  What tool should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mclausen

Not sure what the best advice is on this one.  Is bringing the windows back and ordering something new with a small rough opening and option?  I did this on one of my windows where a 36x36 got in the was of a shower, so i put in a new 2x6 in the opening and went with a 30x36.  planing it out sounds like a lot of work... and a ton of time for the diyer. I think any nail you encounter are going to be a real pain.  I hate retrofitting.

John_M

If it is not a huge opening and it is not load bearing, maybe pop out the jack stud (holding up the header) and maybe use a 1x4 instead of a 2x4?

You can always ask the building inspector.  

Micky

It addition to John_M's suggestions, you can use a simpson header bracket.  These can elimate the jack studs.  This will make the width OK.

You may still need to lower the bottom horizontal 2x.  You should be able to cut that out and cut 1" off the trimmer studs.  Then reinstall the horizontal.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HH.html

jraabe

Good suggestions guys.

I expect bradjulie can reframe those openings without the stiff charges of returning and reordering new windows.

I had to do this with one of the windows in our place. Took less than 40 minutes to reframe (with the sheathing on).

hobbiest

If height is the issue, romove the rough sill (cut all the nails with a sawzall, including sheathing nails), cut the cripples, and reinstall.  If width, and you only need a bit (1" or so), cut with a circular saw, and sawzall whatever the circ won't reach.  Just mill it right down.  If you can get to both sides with the circ, this is easier.