Squaring the Foundation

Started by JackRabbit, May 19, 2014, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackRabbit

I think I am literally going insane trying to square up this stupid foundation. If anyone could give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated. Im building the 14x24 and am trying to square up my footings. Iv been using batter boards and the 3 4 5 method to no avail. Iv also tried measuring diagonally and every time I adjust it throws EVERYTHING off!! This is extremely frustrating! Any help would be appreciated.

astidham

Hey Jackrabbit,
it took my wife and I (3) days to get ours square.
is your area flat?
ours was sloped, so it took extra attention.
if your area is flat, you can get some extra long 2x4's laid out on the ground to move around until you get it square, them knock in yor batter boards or T-post.
What is your foundation type?

Todd
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

I would get one side the correct length.  Then square up two ends off that side using the 3-4-5 method.  By doing this you will get the other two corners.  Once you are close then measure diagonal off of the two first corners to the remaining corners.  If everything goes correct you should be close.  Recheck the demensions ( Width & length).  Sometimes they can be a little contrary but keep at it I am sure you will hit pay dirt eventually.

Adam Roby

I would start by making my first length where I want it, then I would calculate then cut a rope the length of the hypotenuse of the building and use it as a large protractor to find the right points for my square.  Another rope with the length or width of the perpendicular wall and where the two marks intercept is your other corner.  Continue with this approach until all corners are drawn, and then double check your square by making sure both corner to corners are the same length.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/pythag.html

Don_P

I generally start with a "base line", the longest straight wall, and run it long. Then the opposite wall parallell to it, again run long. Then use pythagoras and a 100' tape rather than rope and do Adam's trick. That establishes the third side. Then pull parallell lengths from that to make the 4th side. Check all side lengths, then crosscut, checking the diagonals. The difference between diagonals is twice the error. Move one long side half the difference, while maintaining overall length of the side, and it should check. Remember all lengths must be made on the level, if you are pulling much slope at all it'll mess you up.

JackRabbit

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I finally figured it out and got things squared away. I now have moved onto putting up forms for my footings.

astidham - The area I am working on used to be a slope but I flattened it out with my skid loader. Im going to try my hand at stacking blocks and using SBC. Should be interesting.

Anyone have any tips for laying out rebar? I've seen some people hang it from wire instead of using rebar chairs. How about placing the verticals without them falling over? I'm planning on running 2 pieces parallel to each other all the way around but I am a bit confused on the verticals.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: JackRabbit on May 21, 2014, 08:47:15 AM
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I finally figured it out and got things squared away. I now have moved onto putting up forms for my footings.

astidham - The area I am working on used to be a slope but I flattened it out with my skid loader. Im going to try my hand at stacking blocks and using SBC. Should be interesting.

Anyone have any tips for laying out rebar? I've seen some people hang it from wire instead of using rebar chairs. How about placing the verticals without them falling over? I'm planning on running 2 pieces parallel to each other all the way around but I am a bit confused on the verticals.

I generally just use short pieces of rebar driven into the soil to tie it up off the ground.  You can also use those short pieces as "grade stakes" to determine the correct elevation of the top of your footer.