200 sq Feet issues and need input

Started by UK4X4, July 11, 2010, 02:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

I have a few posts already out there and seemingly no one has rocky land...........

so as the short term plans develop.........permenant structure - I'm limited to 200 sqf

which for a two family vacation would be rather small.

So my main issue is in the short term - I only have vacation time to build anything

1 month per year

The larger cabin will have to wait.........as Mesa county is full code, even for a deck ! ( Colorado)

the code as such is not an issue, as I wan't to build a structure that will last

its the inspections for everything twice a year, and we won't be there, miss an inspection and you have to re-apply

The plot has no vehicular access as yet........ATV in summer and snow shoes , ski's in winter, so not sure how they expect to inspect it !

So what reasonably viable methods are out there for building a vacation livable 2 family structure with such restrictions.........

I'm an engineer by trade but not structural, and dabble in construction too- euro style

Do I apply for 2 < 200sqf buildings and add a solo snow cover in between

or drag in a welder, build a good size frame and build a house on that and add a few wheels for that Cabin RV look !

I'm requesting some outside of the box suggestions..........not build what you want and hope they don't find you !

But a little deviation form the norm is fine

I have road access to 1km away, a gate to cross then ATV to the property so i can't just drag a trailer in...................

and yep the access issue is being looked at as there are two existing trails from the gated area that even cross my property

seemingly its an old issue.....something that you don't when when your not from the area

glenn kangiser

I'm not here a lot lately due to work schedule so don't get through the postings as much.  I have rocks - lots of them similar to your place in some areas.

What I don't have is the freezing that I think you will encounter there.

I would go with the <200 sq. foot to avoid the inspections and having to deal with them.  As you mentioned - more than one could work.  What about using something like a rubble footing digging a trench that could drain then using a treated beam on top of that for a start to the foundation.  Looks like there is enough natural rock to collect and it could drain like a French drain to avoid frost heave issues?

Pix of what you are dealing with in your other thread here I think.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9199.msg118285#msg118285
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

trish2

Your idea of building 2 structures of less than 200 ft each with a snow cover between is a good one.  Inspirations for floor plans can be found in several places.  Here on the this site was a contest for 200 sq ft homes; floor plans of vacation trailers and 5th wheels,& park models; other web sites that feature 'tiny' houses. 

Does sleeping loft space count toward your 200 sq ft?

Keep us posted on your progress....yours is an interesting, practical problem.

Don_P

If this is full code the 200 foot exemption does not apply to a habitable structure, this is a utility building exemption. 2 inspections per year... you have misunderstood something. I suspect you must show progress to keep the permit open, that is often calling for an inspection every 6 months or more often. How do they expect to get in to inspect it?  Generally on the gravel drive you must provide for them to access your property if you wish to build a habitable structure on it. That is full code. If you wish to build legally and not hide from them then get hold of a codebook and do it according to code.

UK4X4

"If this is full code the 200 foot exemption does not apply to a habitable structure, this is a utility building exemption"

they mentioned it still requires a build permit and plan check and zoning etc but not the full inspections

yes non-habitable , how do they define that ? even a barn usually has doors and windows and a roof

"Generally on the gravel drive you must provide for them to access your property if you wish to build a habitable structure on it. That is full code. If you wish to build legally and not hide from them then get hold of a codebook and do it according to code."

This is the basis of my conundrum........infront of my land there's a mapped road space and existing trail

This existing trail crosses my land, the neighbor and some forestry land leased to the ski resort- the issue is the Ski resort does not want to give me access and won't open the gate...........the county however is quite happily taxing it as residential......

I did map out a route from the county road- also leased to the resort-then between two properties on what looks to be a 20ft gap into an adjacent public land section which joins the road space infront of my property.

the county mapper is presently looking into this for me

So yes they want code - fine........but the inspector can't get to the property unless he walks or snow shoes a mile, for his twice yearly inspection of very little change,,,,,,,

Ie the inspector said every 6 months- which- depending on my vacation would mean he may see zero change over the course of a complete year !

So no - not afraid of code as such as I wanted to build a proper cabin, this inspection and access thing changes that,,,,,,,,

so I was concidering the < 200sq ft no electric no water shed route, for the short term.

as it looked like its the only thing I could put on the property, other than a Yurt or wall tent

The local inspector was helpfull and answered some of my questions.............some though I have a dificulty in understanding !

"cabin size and setbacks would be limited by planning clearance and yes they are subject to any/all codes due to IRC,IPC,IMC,NEC,and IFC adoption by cities, county, and towns, and even state codes, rules, and regulations that have been put into effect and or adoption, even down to sheds by one or more, building and or planning/zoning dept.s and state" 

He also said I can't do a 12v only electrical system,,,,,,,,as its not code .......although there's no 110 v electrical wire within a mile or so

so yep I'm confused !

Don_P

Some of this is state laws so you'll have to find someone there who knows and will give you good advice. Our building officials, county administrators, etc are generally helpful. In many states you cannot be landlocked, either easment is made or the lot cannot be sold. Our inspector would require access for emergency vehicles or no permit could be issued. I'm helping with one now that I'm rather suprised he allowed due to the road in. It crosses 2 other landowners , is steep and turns to mud. The homeowners kind of puffed up when I mentioned that he might require gravel and said "It isn't our land" as if to say "It isn't our problem". I let them know that inadequate access was not his problem, just something he was required to enforce. We've lost firetrucks before when they really needed to get there.

Non habitable is typically interpreted as no power, no water, you don't intend to live or sleep in it. It sounds as though you wish to build a legitimate habitable structure. Chapter 3 of the IRC gives most of the requirements of a habitable structure. He is also saying that the plumbing will need to comply with the plumbing code, any mechanicals with the mechanical code, the electric code (an electrician can probably advise here... I'm not so sure that code references a specific voltage). You need to comply with any county zoning ordinances and setbacks.

If there is no progress for 6 months or longer the building permit will expire. A new permit under the current code and rates will need to be applied for, reviewed and paid for and it starts again. After a certain period the project is deemed abandoned and may be removed at the owners expense. This is just generic information, enforcement and methods are very variable. Once you start the intent is that they want you to follow through and get on the tax roles in a relatively short time.