20' wide design for larger home

Started by DIY95, July 29, 2013, 07:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIY95

I been reading posts and admiring projects on the forum for a while now.  I thought I would share the plans I've been working on.  They were in part inspired by the idea promoted on the web site that keeping houses 20' wide and under makes DIY building a little easier.  I wanted a larger home than is typically shown on the forum but also wanted to keep section widths 20' or less.

If you're wondering about the existing garage....yes we built our garage first about 5 years ago and have been living in an apartment above it while saving to build our home.  Input about design is welcome.

hpinson

I really like it.

A few things struck me. If you have guests they will have to cross a bedroom to visit a bathroom.  Another comment is that you might consider opening up the entryway between the dining room and great room. Large open spaces can be very attractive in a house, and tie meal/ kitchen activities to the shared living area.  I can't say personally I would be too happy having to clean 3 full bathrooms, but on the other hand, bedroom 3 could almost function as an inlaw or guest apartment. From the section, it looks like there is a second half story -- is that just open space in the great room. That would be a very nice space. I'm a little unclear on the closet layout in bedroom 2. How about just a single big closet rather than two little ones?

DIY95

Thanks for the input.  I did think about guests going to the bathroom across bedrooms but just couldn't figure a way around it within the layout.  I think I will open up the entry way a bit.  Yes the great room will be an open vaulted ceiling.  Now that you pointed it out, there really is no reason for splitting the closet.

rick91351

Here in the snow country it would never work.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

cholland

Lots of space, nice.  I would try to swap the double closet with the bathroom.  If the door opened into that short hallway, then it would be accessible to guests and right outside both bedrooms.
The kitchen is big so maybe you'll have enough storage space, or some room in the laundry. But a pantry would be a nice addition.
My place is small. My wife's only complaint besides no walk-in closet, is no pantry.

Don_P

Reminescent of mid english design, google Priory Place or similar. I'd slide the front porch back a little to disconnect that fascia line, ease of framing.

kenhill

How about move the bathroom to where the closets are in bedroom 2.  then it is accessable from the hall for all 3 bedrooms and the great room.

umtallguy

why do you want to keep it to 20'?
post and pier foundation or roof?

if its foundation ok,
but for roofs, price trusses.
They are pretty damn cheap and fast.

Also, where is your mechanical going? laundry room?

with the bathroom and kitchen spread out you will have plumbing, and waste piping everywhere.

hammermeetsthumb

As a suggestion, you might look up the Hugh Newell Jacobsen designed house from the Life Dream House series of the 1990's.  It uses the same basic floor plan that you're employing and may serve to give you some ideas on how to workout your design issues.

DIY95

I took everyone's feedback and made the following updates to the floor plan:

1. Widened the entry way between dinning area and great room.
2. Made front porch swallower to break up fascia line.
3. Changed location of bathroom so it would be accessible to guests with out crossing  a bedroom.

Thanks for the feedback.