Any gear heads here?

Started by NM_Shooter, January 20, 2009, 12:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

So... I am shopping for a boat. 

I'm curious.  How well do gaskets and engine seals hold up over time?  For instance, I'm finding a few boats that are 15 to 25 years old, that the engines appear to be running strong but have never been rebuilt.  Are these just time-bombs waiting for me to purchase them?  Or will an older engine that has been maintained have no need for freshening of the seals?

Thanks...

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Gaskets in general do not deteriorate. Seals on the other hand might leak after a prolonged period of no use in some cases. If the boat has been used I wouldn't worry as much as if it had been sitting for years with no operation at all.

Marine engines work harder than most auto engines. Sort of like gasoline RV engines don't last as long as the engine in the typical automobile.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I have had 6 old boats. My opinion only, based on my experience.....unless you are ready to rebuild it right away, leave it where it is.

I have an older Oday Sailboat now.....with a NEW outboard!

I have had Chriscrafts, and an assortment of outboard ski boats. All went to Al's junkyard within a couple of years.
A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money and labor in, The older they get, the deeper and wider the hole gets.

Depending on what kind of engine, I would be more concerned with the bottom end of the motor than the seals and gaskets.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

sparks

MountainDon and PeterNap have some valid points. One thing I've always considered is what was the boat used for....skiing,fishing,cruising,etc. And the character of the folks trying to sell it.

A boat that's been well maintained and cared for is obvious. A boat that's been spit shined should be shied away from.

This site can help: http://www.boatus.com/

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

The last decent looking older boat I had always found me with my head under the floorboards and my a$$ in the air.  I quit boats. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.