There is no escape.

Started by Redoverfarm, August 10, 2012, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

For everyone that has built their home/cabin there is one factor that is often overlooked.  Even though you have managed to build within a relatively low budget you have only won half the battle.  Recently I received my county tax assessment.   [shocked].  I am a stickler for keeping receipts and know just about what I have spent materialwise in my cabin.  When the assessor comes around he could care less on what you spent.  He assesses your build on what it is worth not how much you have invested.  Well I put on my boxing gloves and headed to the courthouse.  The assessor here is fair and after a rather lengthly conversation I persuaded him to lower the assessment due to a couple of factors.  The main one being that there is no electricity and IF I did ever sell that would be a major factor in the selling price.

A lot of the times it is the deputy assessors who actually do the site elavuations.  Without anyone being there they just assume certain factors which they think exist.  When I went over the criteria they had listed there were several items which they "assumed" were present.  One being the existance of the propane tank as being gas heat when in fact the major heat source is wood and the propane is for generator and refrigerator.  The other being that the cabin is set on a perimeter foundation which they listed as a full basement which it only has a minimal basement of 1/3 the actual footprint.

It actually helps to know of surrounding structures that are similar in nature to your own.  They will (or at least here) show what the assessment are for those other structures.  I guess it is public record and privacy does not enter into it being divulged.  Since there are no log structures close by I knew of a few on the other end of the county.   When checking their assessed value and fair market value they were assessed less and had more square footage. 

So I guess what I am trying to relay is not to take for granted your assessment. Do your homework and have your facts to justify a reduction in hand.  The actualy property (land) is hard to justify a reduction as in most probability a blanket land assessment is make on all lands throughout the county as property values increase from year to year.  But then again beg to differ if your property has no electric or even a remote chance that it will have in the future and it shoud not be assessed as property that will have electric. 

Granted my property assessment is not as great as some but overtime your assessment values will out weigh your actual structure values.

MushCreek

One battle I anticipate is determining my 'heated square footage' for tax purposes. Since I'm building ICF, my walls will be over 12" thick. They traditionally measure the outside of the house to determine heated square footage, but it's not heated to the outside, now, is it? I'm not spending the Big Bucks for ICF to heat to the outside! The inside of the house is some 150 sq ft smaller than the outside. My contractor said he successfully argued the point on his own ICF home, so we'll see. Likewise, my basement will never be finished, as that would double my heated square footage.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

tommytebco

I think this is kind of a "reverse income tax" All the money you saved by building it your self now gets taxed, since it is part of the value of your place.
Still, fight the tax man every step of the way. Only pay your fair share.

Still, this is how the original settlers get squeezed out. They livie in the "hollers" until a cabin in the woods gets popular. Then the new guys want services and paved roads etc. Then tax rates and evaluations begin to climb. One day the "holler" isn't so cheap anymore.

archimedes

Red,
I'm curious,  did they actually come out and look at your house,  or are they just making an estimate based and what your building permit says.

Glad you took the time to fight it and were successful.   I think,  of all taxes,  property taxes are them most unfair. 
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: archimedes on August 11, 2012, 09:09:41 AM
Red,
I'm curious,  did they actually come out and look at your house,  or are they just making an estimate based and what your building permit says.

Glad you took the time to fight it and were successful.   I think,  of all taxes,  property taxes are them most unfair.

They actually came to the site.  In fact they measured the structure including the deck demensions.  We do not require building permits so here they have to go individually to each residence. 

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 11, 2012, 09:26:37 AM
They actually came to the site.  In fact they measured the structure including the deck demensions.  We do not require building permits so here they have to go individually to each residence.

We are required permits and they still show up.  I got taxed on the cement apron I poured in front and to the side of the shop.  They are also depending on aerial mapping and photos here.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

Glad you got it worked out John.

Kinda nice that I don't get taxed on a Pole Barn c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

I kind of believe that a hole in the ground (absence of dirt)  is worth less than dirt (tangible matter).  Correct.  [noidea'

Assessor is not allowed on my property unless he happens to trespass in spite of the $5000 per day land use fee.  So far he hasn't tried it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on August 11, 2012, 11:38:15 AM
We are required permits and they still show up.  I got taxed on the cement apron I poured in front and to the side of the shop.  They are also depending on aerial mapping and photos here.

Yes Rick I guess they consider that land improvements which boost the value.  A couple of years they taxed livestock.  Although I usually don't keep them over the winter I was in a catch 22 in that I had them prior to July 1 which is what they use as a guideline.  Still required to account for the livestock on the farm class but do not get taxed for them.

They even tried to tax for tractors and implements but that was quickly sweeped away.

MountainDon

On the other hand, what about insurance value? If the owner built structure is insured with the usual type of home owner policy the insurance company values the replacement costs to include labor, not just the actual cost of materials.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I do know one county here in Idaho that was appraising farm machinery.  Now I do not know.  That sort of hit a snag because some of the machinery they were appraising was the stuff in the scarp pile you might say.  The common practice of keeping like machinery around and robbing parts to keep something else running.  Those of us that never figured out they sell new equipment.

We have never be taxed on cattle on property that I remember.  That is a new one for me maybe unless you have a dairy or feed lot but a cow calf operation.  Do they count a a pair as one or two?  Not officially two until weaned here.  February and March calves sell in Oct or Nov and run through your July cut off for sure. 

Here your dogtrot cabin as it stands would be taxed to the hilt I am afraid.  It is not physically connected to your home place is it?  I am pretty sure it would fall under the dreaded vacation property heading.............       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Native_NM

Property taxes are the next financial cancer and bubble.  NM is already suffering.  I protested this year, again, and for the first time was able to get relief. 

The bill on my commercial property in NM is close to $30,000.  Our bill in California is close to $60,000.   My taxes in NAA are $6k a year.  Albuquerque is not worth $6k a year. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

considerations

I know, I know, some of one's property taxes go to pay for "services".  Still, I find myself asking if I really own my property. After all they can take it away from me if I don't pay the property taxes....hmmm   ???