Unidentified Material in the walls of an old house

Started by wildcottonroad, December 05, 2010, 11:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcottonroad

I guess I should first introduce myself.  I started eyeing this forum and bought the little house plans when I purchased some land on the Kenai a few years ago.  The plan was to get some ideas and head up to put something together (for hunint, fishing and just hanging out).  However, it seems I used the forum more to get ideas for remodeling an old house we have in Washington state.

So, if the gang could help me out with this one I would appreciate it.  Here is what I am doing and what I have.

We are tearing out some walls to open up a stair case.  Basically, the current opening is too small to get a full size bed to the upstairs.  So, we are just opening it up a bit.  As I am tearing out the walls, I came across something I haven't seen before. Over the studs are some traditional looking drywall boards (the house was built in 44).  But over that is a cement looking material that does not appear to be a board, but basically it is floated over the old drywall.  It is about 3/4 of an inch thick and is used to create a curve in the corners of the walls (ceiling to walls and wall corners.  In the corners there is a metal mesh material for support).  From the corners and ceiling, it continues across the entire wall at about the same thickness.

I'll admit that one of my concerns is asbestos.  There is a small fiberous material mixed in the cement looking stuff, but that fiberous material burns pertty easy.  So, I know that part isn't asbestos.  But my concern is with the other material that looks like cement.

And as odd as this sounds, besides the asbestos concern, I am just curious as heck to what this is and why it is over the old drywall and why it is so darn thick.  it just seems really odd to have over an inch of material on the walls for whatever reason (both dry wall and the cement looking stuff); floating it out for those corners and curves, providing insulation (doubt that one) or creating a more sturdy wall (plausible).

Anyway, I do need to get a picture of it on the post and will work on that soon.  I have to head out of town tomorrow and won't be back until the weekend when the project continues.  So, if any one has any ideas based upon my poor written description, let me know.

Thanks in advance

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum.

Plaster  - sounds like just lime plaster.  The fiber may likely be hair- forerunner of today's Fibermesh - they used to us it as reinforcement.  The old houses had artistic rounded corners and many times even the corners in the ceiling.

In a material as you described I wouldn't worry much about asbestos.  It is likely pretty well cemented in even if it was.  Just don't go out of your way to make a mess and breath.  With all kinds of silica material - sand - plaster etc,  it is not good to breath - heavy users may get silicosis.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

wildcottonroad

Yes, the corners of the ceiling do have the rounded corners with a ton of this plaster/cement looking material floated over it to make the corners and smooth everything out.

Lime plaster.  I hope that is the case with no asbestos.  But you are also right about the demo and the dust.  That stuff gets everywhere and did make my throat a little raspy.

We'll dig back in to it this weekend and keep chugging along.  One of these days I'll get this house project done and actually get up to AK for the cabin build.  That is when I will really start bugging you guys.

Appreciate the info.

Jay

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

I'd agree, early "drywall" was used as a lath to back the plaster without having to nail up a million lath strips. If it is hair I've been warned that it was often from the tannery and can have arsenic on it. I'd wear a cartridge mask, old houses are laced with who knows what and you're stirring it up during demo. We used to believe in better living through chemistry waay too much.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wildcottonroad

Don,

yes, without a doubt there is old lead based paint.  We are keeping the kids out of there while we demo because of that.  I hope to get this wrapped up in the next couple of weeks and the stairs opened and everything dry-walled.

Thanks for the input.  I may have more questions as we dig further into this place.  its a project, but I just love this old house.  I hate sticking the money in to it (I could be buying quads, a camper or new hunting rifles), but it will be nice to see her come to life again.

jay