Staples?

Started by dug, December 28, 2009, 08:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Are 2 in. staples acceptable to attach sheathing with?

A friend of mine says they use them for that purpose around here often. He has a gun and a bunch of staples that he would lend me.

bayview

NO!    ;)

In addition, a large number of homes were built in the 1980's and 1990's where the sheathing was stapled to the trusses and rafters instead of using nails. The use of staples has been shown to be one of the poorest connections for roof sheathing.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

dug, are you talking roof sheathing or wall sheathing. I'm on a borrowed computer, with limited time right now in snowy Colorado, and don't have access to my references at home. I believe, but am not certain, that some staples are allowed for wall sheathing at this time. If so, it's going to depend on the wire gauge used and the size. Have a look at one of the IRC codes with links under Referral Links.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

Thanks Don, I'll do it. It's for wall sheathing.

MikeT

I used staples for my wall sheathing.  It is approved by code where I am building.  I do not recall the specs, but you need a certain crown size and a certain staple length.  I may have also used it on my roof sheathing, but I do not recall.  If it is permitted, I surely did it....

mt

PEG688

They won't pass shear wall inspection , most places do not allow there use.

IMO they got some what a bad rap , Hurricane Andrew was the storm that caused the ruling. BUT mainly it was combination of missed framing members,  comp ( Asphalt shingle)  roofing poorly  installed ( not wind nailed and/ or extreme low end type shingle used in high wind area, so the roofing blew off , then MAINLY the OSB sheathing got soaking wet and turned to sponge like consistency allowing the FEW staples that HIT framing to pull thru causing the sheathing to blow off , which allowed the wind to get into the attic and further tear the building apart.

So it was series of mishaps and a combined huge storm  that caused what to me , is a knee jerk reaction to a good product.

Used with CDX ply  and not over driven staple do a fine job, but like I said most places don't allow for there use for sheathing.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .