did I cantilever too much?

Started by deercamp14x28, June 28, 2005, 08:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Yo- dudes-- anybody miss me ???

Had to go do a real days work for once-- Moved trackhoe- dug 500 feet or so of water line trench- looked at the progress on the ferrocrete effluent vault I instructed an owner builder on - they did a real good job.

Looks like you guys got the cantilever problem solved and didn't even need me ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Glenn  Sure we all missed ya  :)Have a great day , HTBH ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

deercamp14x28

I briefly read through that post about the ledger failure.  I noticed 2 differences right off the bat.  First I did drill holes for my lag bolts where he didn't.  My ledger is also pressure treated.  Everything on the outside of my little cabin is pressure treated.

That said, I'm certainly not an expert although I did spend time carefully planning this cabin/deck out.  Like I said in one earlier post, I got overzealous when cutting the joist lengths but knew I was within standard deck cantilever length.  It was a mistake certainly to deviate from my plans once at the build site.  I guess I just got excited about a larger deck and knowing I had the lumber and, well, here we are.

I think I am going to do 2 things here.  I've got a little spare time - I think I am going to trim off 8" to 12" off the end of the joists before I start laying decking.  Second - I think I will put some additional lag bolts in my pressure treated ledger.  Maybe with that I'll feel comfortable with the safety of my deck.  Wish me luck.