Headers and ledgers for ballon frame construction

Started by JeffC, August 23, 2007, 08:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

I'm building a cabin/cottage with short a kneewall as detailed in the Victoria's Cottage plans and others, and have a question on how to deal with the headers and the ledger.  I'm planning on an 8' ceiling height, and will be using a 5/4"x6" yellow pine ledger that is inlet into my 2x6 studs.  Am I best off with a single (rather than double) header.  A double header would result in the ledger basically lying right on top of the header.  My thought is that the single header against the outside wall would be a better method and allow me to notch my cripples (from the top plate to the header) for the ledger.  Is this the best approach?  Thanks.

PEG688

Jeff with a "normal" dbl header your thickness of header would be 3" total ( two 2x10 nail together) leaving 2 1/2" of space for that 1x6 (net 3/4 x 5 1/2 ") YP ledger .

Yes you should hold the dbl . / built up header to the exterior , we a add a 2x6 on the bottom that becomes sheet rock backing above the window and leaves a cavity which can be insulated from the inside when it's time .

I don't think you have a problem other than math or  understanding / "seeing" how the parts engage.

This is basically what your doing the exact height of the ledger may be different and you MTL won't have the 4x6 posts in your walls but those header are dbl 2 by's the ledger is a 2x6 DFir.

G/L with your project.

PEG

Edited cuz I was repeating myself  ::) Note to self : [highlight]Re- read your post like they where written by someone else [/highlight]:(  ::) Hoy vey ;D

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

williet

QuoteJeff with a "normal" dbl header your thickness of header would be 3" total ( two 2x10 nail together) leaving 2 1/2" of space for that 1x6 (net 3/4 x 5") YP ledger .

Yes you should hold the dbl . / built up header to the exterior , we a add a 2x6 on the bottom that becomes sheet rock backing above the window and leaves a cavity which can be insulated from the inside when it's time .

I don't think you have a problem other than math or  understanding / "seeing" how the parts engage.

This is basically what your doing the exact height of the ledger may be different and you MTL won't have the 4x6 posts in your walls but those header are dbl 2 by's the ledger is a 2x6 DFir.

Jeff with a "normal" dbl header your thickness of header would be 3" total ( two 2x10 nail together) leaving 2 1/2" of space for that 1x6 (net 3/4 x 5") YP ledger .

G/L with your project.

PEG

Good explaination and great picture. Thanks for posting it.

PEG688

Better thread here on it,

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144724922/60

I bumped it up as well, seems to be a pretty common question and we did ring it out on that thread  ::) back in the day ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

JeffC

Thanks!  I had seen that thread, but it wasn't clear that you had a double header until you detailed it- makes tons of sense now.