again, and again....Slab or piers

Started by rsbhunter, July 24, 2012, 01:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

At my place we have an odd high pressure sewage system - but its 5K for the privalage of hooking up to it- even though 80% of my taxes go to it already

So I'll be installing the 1000g septic tank, and macerator pump - but just getting it pumped out when required.

For three weeks in the trailer I empty the 35gal portable tank 3 times thats for three of us with a low flush toilet and seperate grey water, the RV place down in the local village charges $5 for the dump

So I should get 25 weeks of service out of the tank, full time living, but being that we vacation there its quite a few years !

Even with the sewage system in place I still see septic trucks visiting other properties too that I guess have done the same thing,

I can get quite a few suckouts for 5K.

We looked at the Sun-mars earlier in the design phase but being as high as we are 8 months of the year it will be too cold to process anything

as per Squirl I was looking at the seperate system, clean standard looking inside and the dirty end outside !

rsbhunter

Need to clarify what my first line stated "it's not going to happen where i'm at"   I meant a septic system...of course, i can be sick anywhere...rsbhunter

speedfunk

Something else to consider about the climate in NY.  Please note this is just my observation.   

The ground here when wet (a good amount during the winters/spring lately) seems to draw the heat from the house.  When your connected with no thermal break by foundation its a good thermal connection to the ground. So when surronding soil is saturated with water, water moves heat away pretty quickly into an endless heat sink.   I almost think that it might be advantageous to be off the ground ,depending on microclimate of course.   Sometimes my 8x8 cabin feels more comfortable after rains come (house has no insulation as of this post).  Because its up on piers and well insulated 2x4 stick frame ?  Just another angle to consider.  I know that when soils are saturated like bottom lands near rivers around here I would build up in the air on piers.