What do you think about this plan?

Started by Gen11esis, June 05, 2013, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmanley

I would prefer a lot more open sitting room.  Seems like things are just too crowded, but that's my opinion.  Bedroom on the right should have windows on other wall for cross ventilation.  I would also make room for a woodstove or fireplace in case you needed emergency heat.  The great thing about cabin planning is that it's what you want and what suits your needs best.  We all have different ideas and preferences, so with with what you like.

Gen11esis

Thank you Dmanley I appreciate any input. I am fishing for ideas ;D I was looking to make this very efficient so I dont have too many hallways. (shotgun home design)  I must of designed a hundred of these things. And eventualy I would love to have a wood burning stove you are 100% right on that I just didnt see a place to put it. Thx again.

NavyDave

Do you have a sight in mind yet? Knowing where the southern exposure and directions of prevailing winds is very important for proper window/door placement and also helps with exterior porch and overhang placement.

Gen11esis

NavyDave, the kitchen ,dining, living room will face West. There is a lot of trees around me so I will get a lot of shade and it should help with the winds.

NavyDave

The 2 bedrooms would get a lot of natural light to wake you up in the morning. I planned my bedroom to be lit up in the am also since I get up with the chickens. The rest of the house might be a bit dark for you without any south facing windows though. It's good that you do have a site in mind though so you can become familiar with it before you build. Overall I like the plan. I'd think about window and door placement though for both lighting and ventilation purposes. That's my personal priority though. Others may disagree. Where will you be building?

Gen11esis

North Georgia and the lot is purchased just waiting for the landscape guy to get some time to help me out.

NavyDave

Not far from me...the wife grew up in Copperhill in NE Ga.

Hey one other thing I noticed in your plans that may (or may not) appeal to you. If you didn't put the Passover in the kitchen and extended the kitchen cabinets around the corner adjacent to the bedroom putting the fridge next to the bedroom door it would give an efficient "work triangle" and possibly open things up enough to put your table in the kitchen. That would open up the option for a nice big living area too. If you didn't want to put the table in the kitchen a food prep island could go in the middle.

Lots of options with this floor plan.

Gen11esis

Is this what you are refering too?
[img][IMG]

Gen11esis

NavyDave

Yep, looks like you've already tried it  :)

Gen11esis

MushCreek

I don't know your walk-in closet dimensions, but to hang clothes on both sides requires about 7' wide, and about 5' to hang them on one side. By comparison, a reach-in requires only 2' of width.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

rick91351

Quote from: MushCreek on June 07, 2013, 05:18:43 AM
I don't know your walk-in closet dimensions, but to hang clothes on both sides requires about 7' wide, and about 5' to hang them on one side. By comparison, a reach-in requires only 2' of width.

First off you are building this for yourself and you know what you need.  If this is a cabin or is it a home I might look at it two ways.   

I am like Mush unless you and your other are huge clothes horses those closets are way to much or way not enough.  I would favor two foot closets with sliding bypass doors especially in the one bed room other than the master.  Even if I had to turn the common bath the other direction.     

For efficiency sake I would myself go to one lav sink in the master rather than two.  Then take about a third of the vanity and run a floor to ceiling linen / storage closet.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

kenhill

If the second bedroom is for occasonal guests, you might want to consider using a shared bathroom instead of having 2 seperate baths.  That wold give mor living space.

Gen11esis

Thank you, this is why I love this forum. Been here a while but just started my project and started posting.

I reworked the bathrooms. The master bath still has 2 sinks but I put 2 nice floor to ceiling Linen/storage closets in the other bathroom. (Thx Rick91351)  ;D I also took your idea for the other closet and reworked it a little.

Thx MushCreek I made the walk in closet 6.6 feet wide and it is 12 feet long. That should work for walk in.

trish2

From my woman point of view, I don't like looking into the bathroom from the eating area or directly as you enter the front door.    In the original plan, if you ran a closet along the bathroom wall that backs to the great room/dining area you would shield the entrance to the bath slightly and give yourself some more storage space.  That would at least reduce the problem somewhat.

Gen11esis

Thx Trish2.  ;D I am thinking of sticking some furniture there at some point to "dress up that wall" and to break the continous line. And with everyones help so far I like what developed. I love to hear others take on things. The folks on this website have tons of good ideas.

dmanley

My wife had some suggestions, so this is from a woman's view.  If you place the bathtub in the main bathroom under the window you accomlish several things.  First, it would give you room to possibly move the washer/dryer to that bathroom, which means you wouldn't have to carry things from the front bedroom, through the master bedroom to the opposite end of the house to wash them.  Also, a stack wsher/dryer would save even more space, giving room for linen/blanket storage in that bathroom.  Finally, placing the bathtub under a window also gives you more light while bathing or showering.  Just some suggestions from another women's point of view.

Gen11esis

Ok tweeked some some. Dmanley and Trish2, I took your advice, thx. The more I do this the more I love the layout.  ;D

rick91351

It really like that better as well.  Now of the lot and the pocket book will allow it how about a 10 foot wide porch across the front.  With a patio table and chairs or benches to the one side and a couple rockers on the other.   ;) 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gen11esis

;D

Rick91351 one thing at a time lol. But you are right well see whats left in the wallet. I would love to run a porch across the front and around the side to the other door. The lot will allow it and I start clearing trees next week.

flyingvan

I think heat distribution might be a challenge.....Also, if it were my place I'd switch the kitchen and the sitting area.  A kitchen is a great place for an entry way since the space will serve double duty.  Your range hood will be tough to vent where it is now, but if your kitchen is moved it'll be on an exterior wall.    Having the kitchen right off the master bedroom will make more noise for that bedroom; your other bedroom has the whole house bathroom anyway so it already gets the traffic outside the door.  By putting the sitting area where the kitchen is now, the sitting area is more calm and not a thoroughfare---it could take carpet well, and the kitchen/entrance could be a hard floor.   Your plumbing will be spread out all over, which isn't that big a deal but you are going to have lots of through roof vents, and hot water distribution's going to be a long wait in one of the bathrooms....    Where do I hang my jacket when I come in?  How are you going to run the dryer vent?  What's the point of having both exterior doors right next to each other?  (I'd put one off the master suite onto a deck or porch)
   By electrical code, you have to be able to walk through the house turning lights on ahead of you then off again behind you.
   Your set up for the bedroom/bathroom door off the sitting area is a needless waste of space--what do you gain?  The commode is already tucked nicely back in a corner, and won't be viewed from the common area if both those doors face the room instead of each other, and you'd gain valuable closet space.
   If you heard a strange 'bump in the night' off the 'C' side of the house (to the left) you have no window to peek out to investigate---you'll have to go outside, and if you think THAT's a good idea, you haven't watched enough horror films.  Same with the opposite wall unless that door has a window in it.
    Finally---I visualized walking through this floorplan.  I believe it will feel tight, because everything moves towards something smaller.  Nothing 'opens up'.  There should always be an illusion of walking from a small space to a bigger one---switching the kitchen and sitting area will help, since kitchens tend to be more cluttered and busy, then looking in towards the more spartan sitting area.  Then things like sections of glass bricks in the divider walls between the living area and master bed/bath would help, too.  Varying the ceiling heights, and cabinet depths are easy tricks.  If you pushed the master bedroom wall in even 6" ( the wall between the kitchen and master bedroom) it will add greatly to the expanding room feel without really impacting the bedroom significantly.
   Your bedroom windows aren't big enough for emergency egress in the event of a fire.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Gen11esis

Thx Flyingvan. I moved the door to the original position so they are not that close. As for the tight look I want to do a lot of work myself and this plan will allow me to do so. I dont mind the size of the rooms I love how this looks so far. I also upgraded the table lol.

bayview

The living areas are small in comparison to the other areas.  It's a large kitchen for this size home.

There seems to be an emphasis on bathrooms and bedrooms . . .    How much time will you actually be spending there?  Are two bath tubs necessary?   Can you get by with a ½ or ¾ bath in the master?

While a rectangular home is easier to build . . .    Consider  some "bump-outs", porches, etc.   It would be more "interesting" for re-sale.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .