A report on the pin pier foundation system (Poppy's Pin Pier Plan)

Started by poppy, September 30, 2009, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

An open note to any following my cabin build (Poppy's 16x16 Timber Frame Cabin) looking for ideas.  Here is the good, bad, and ugly on the self-designed pin foundation.

The bad:
First, it doesn't save money.  Even though I didn't buy the commercial offering and bought all the raw materials myself, it still about doubled the the cost of the conventional Sonotube pier system.

Second, it was more labor intensive than I thought it would be.  It was fun because it was different, but a heap of work.

The good:
First, the pins can be driven any time, pretty much regardless of weather.  I drove a couple of them in a light rain and the only problem was having to be careful that I didn't slip in the mud.

Second, it is a great system as far as not disturbing soil below grade; or said another way, with no hole to dig, one doesn't have to worry about water collecting and destablizing the base of the pier, either before or after it is complete.  This is very important for expansive clay soils.

Third, the load is spread very wide, making the system very stable.

The ugly:
The cap pier needed to be bigger than originally thought and since large Sonotubes are pretty expensive, I ended up making my own square forms.  These square pier caps are aligned for best coverage of the pin arrangement, so are not aligned with the beams. :-[

They would have had to be a lot bigger to make them align with the beams, either round or square.

So in conclusion:  Would I do it again?  I don't know yet. I'm still debating on what to do for the porch piers.  My adventure side says to go with the pin system; my practical side says to go with the Sonotube.

If cost were the main driver, it would be Sonotube all the way.

But, on the other hand, for the self-builder working alone, it seems to be the ideal system for expansive clay situations, expecially added to freeze/thaw cycles.  8)

Would I recommend it to others? Yes and no.

Yes, if the conditions called for it and one bought the commercial offering.  The jury is still out on Poppy's Pin Pier Plan.  As suggested by Don_P, I will be monitoring the elevation of the piers on at least an annual basis and will report findings here.

No, if conditions don't call for it and you wanted to do it the way I did it.

Having said all that, if there is anyone out there considering this system, I am happy to help anyway I can, short of physical labor.  ;)

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JRR

I agree ... thanks for the info!

I think I will add some pins to the next perimeter footing that I install .... can't hurt!

That must be soft earth ... that wheelbarrow has sunk about out of sight!  (LOL!)

poppy

Quotethat wheelbarrow has sunk about out of sight!
Yea, and it makes it very difficult to move.  :D