May have run into a problem requiring stairs to loft space???

Started by Willy, January 25, 2008, 07:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

On my cabin I will building I have a area above the bathroom/kitchen ceiling. I put floor joists above this area. Lets call it a loft space but it is called storage on the plans I summited for the permit. This is not realy living space, it is 7 ft wide and 10 ft long and 6 ft tall on the high side and 3 ft tall on the low side. This could be used for a kids sleeping area by some but was never intended for that. I just wanted to make use of this space to store things in and access to the attic craw space (thru wall) above the porch ceiling. No way realy is there room for code built stairs according to what I have read in the arcives here. I sorta could do it but it would require raising the roof more and crossing the whole building or using up a 3X7 foot print out of the living area. Is there a code in Washington State requiring me to have stairs to this small area or can I use a ladder for this? The building is being inspected but I do not want to bring this up with the inspector yet unless I have to. I would like to know what is required first then deal with it properly. No stairs were on the plans when they were summited but they may not have understood this space? It said storage on the plans. In truth I thought this space could make a sleeping area and had a window drawen in on the tall wall. I had intended to put a balcony wall railing with a opening for a removable ladder to get access to it.  Any ideas on how this will be taken by a building inspector or what is realy required??? Thanks, Mark

ScottA

I'd stick to the storage story and use a ladder. If you say it's a kids sleeping room they are goning to make you build code stairs I bet.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on January 25, 2008, 08:31:16 PM
I'd stick to the storage story and use a ladder. If you say it's a kids sleeping room they are goning to make you build code stairs I bet.
Definitly I would only say a storage area that is why I put the words on the plans in that space. Now to make sure a ladder is OK to get to it. I was thinking of a pull & slide over the side ladder on a edge mounted holder so it could be perminate but yet able to stow away. I can't realy us a pull down ladder like you see used on atics. I intended to use a new aluminium extention ladder haft modified to do this with. Mark

MikeT

Willy

Quote from: MikeT on January 25, 2008, 09:18:33 PM
John Raabe has provided a nice how-to for a loft ladder here:
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1777.0
I saw that one and it is nice. If I am allowed to use this kind of ladder I could also build one that is allways in place that is steep but has steps and a railing on one side to help you get up there. My problem is, is it OK to use a steep set of steps or ladder to access this area if it is not realy a habital area? I just want access to the storage space and the porches attic area door. I guess the key point is if they would call this space habital and what requirements make it that if it does not have the legal head room ect to call it a room. Mark

davidj

The term used for this area on my plans was "flower shelf", as suggested by the professional plan drawer.  There was no access to the flower shelf detailed on the plans, so I guess the flowers will just have to water themselves ;->

Willy

Quote from: davidj on January 26, 2008, 01:12:59 PM
The term used for this area on my plans was "flower shelf", as suggested by the professional plan drawer.  There was no access to the flower shelf detailed on the plans, so I guess the flowers will just have to water themselves ;->
I may end up just not saying anything cause I will meet the inspector on the job to answer any questions needed. I also think since he was giving me a lot of leeway on changes I was making and not realy caring I don't want to back him into a corner in the building dept office. Out in the feild is a different story where we can talk openly about anything. If I ignore the subject it will probley not come up and a steep ladder will be built with a hand rail with approved railing along the rest of the opening. Mark

Dan

John may chime in with the facts at some point, but I believe most areas only require a standard "code" stair if the floor area accessed is greater than 200 sqft with over 6 feet of headroom.  It sounds like from your description that you will have 0 sqft over 6 foot headroom so you can do what you want.  To quote from the Victoria's Cottage page, "The total upper floor floor area over 6' is 189 sf. This allows the steep cottage stair to be used".

Willy

Quote from: Dan on January 26, 2008, 04:02:34 PM
John may chime in with the facts at some point, but I believe most areas only require a standard "code" stair if the floor area accessed is greater than 200 sqft with over 6 feet of headroom.  It sounds like from your description that you will have 0 sqft over 6 foot headroom so you can do what you want.  To quote from the Victoria's Cottage page, "The total upper floor floor area over 6' is 189 sf. This allows the steep cottage stair to be used".
Yes the highest point is 6 ft on one wall. I was hoping a builder in Washington State or someone who has worked this problem out before with a inspector in Washington. Mark