PEX or copper ? Decision time !

Started by Windpower, August 23, 2013, 08:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingvan

I've got another concern with PEX unrelated to the dead horse we've been beating, maybe someone smarter than me can chime in here.
   I know if you've properly bonded your cold water copper line to ground then cut in a filter, then fail to bridge that bond to the other side, the pipes quickly fail since one side is energized and the other isn't---joined by flowing water full of dissolved solids. 
   If you had copper, properly bonded, feeding your PEX manifold--would metal fixtures on the terminal ends prematurely corrode?  It seems like the same dynamics are in place, just a matter of distance
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Huge29

I have four neighbors who have experienced leaks in their copper, twice in mine and these homes are only about 15 years old. All were from copper, one was so bad that they sued and made the contractor replace the plumbing in the entire home.  My next door neighbor had their one spot leak four times, the fourth time they insisted that the repair be made in PEX and five years later never had the issue recur; I would go PEX 100% of the time.  If you keep things cleaned up, not always possible with the liberals and their compost projects, mice should not be an issue.  We bought a cabin that had essentially been vacant for nearly two years, so we had lots of mice, but they were completely eradicated within about a month, no sign of them in a year.  The entire cabin is done with PEX and not a leak.