Husqvarna 460 -- Good saw ?

Started by Windpower, November 06, 2011, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

There is a new but shopworn (couple scratches on case) Husqvarna 460 for a good price at the farm and fleet

Opinions ?

I used to ride a Husqvarna dirt bike and it was great (1976 250 WR)
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

That is a good saw.  It is too small if you want to spend days and days in the woods whittling down forests.  In short it aint no Stihl. :(  But then it does not have a Stihl price tag either.   :)

From what I see it will run up to a 24 inch bar okay.  We are in fairly large pine and big aspen a lot.  Both my saws have 24 inch bars and I find them the best for all around saws.  (Neither is a Stihl nor a Husky.)  So I don't have any first hand experience with the Husky.  Jarhead runs one and seem to like it real well.  With proper care and maintenance the bar and engine will last a long long time.

As a guide Bailey's has them with a 18 inch bar $449.95, 20 inch bar is also $449.95.  And the 24 inch 469.95.  All with free ground shipping.  http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVF+460R+24&CAT=

If you buy don't forget chaps (I am a real believer in them now) and falling wedges if you are doing any falling. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

I have a Stihl 026 which I like very much

this Husky wears a 24" bar and they are asking $402

There are a few larger trees I may have to fell, so this has some appeal for that

good price I think 

decisions decisions

MWAndrus

I have a Huskvarna 455 with a 20 inch bar. Its a bit smaller then the 460, but not much. I just cut down a 3ft diameter maple tree and the saw had no problem. My inlaws also run a Husqvarna, and they have never had any complaints.

diyfrank

If it was me and I thought I needed it and didn't buy it I would be kicking myself every time I looked at a tree I wanted to drop. You could always sell or swap it if you wanted later. 
Home is where you make it

fishing_guy

One more with the Husky 455 and a 20" bar.  It has taken care of a lot of Birch and pine on out up-north property.  Always started.  Only issue I have is it likes to throw chains if you are delimbing.  But It is a fine saw.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Windpower

Bought it,  $402 plus tax

24" bar

thanks for the input

MWAndrus

One thing that made us choose the Huscvarna over a Stihl is the compression release for starting the saw. It makes it much easier to start. My wife had a terrible time trying to start the Stihl. It was just too hard for her to pull.

MountainDon

That compression release is handy.  My 445 has it and the 440 does not.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I have the Stihl 029S, which has a 56cc engine, vs the Husq 440 (40cc) or the 445 (46cc). 

I find that it cuts slowly for me, which may be more of a factor of the safety blade that I have.  I use it at 10k feet elevation, and it does bog from time to time. 

It does start pretty easily though.  I am unaware if it has a compression release built into the choke mechanism. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"