Framing a cross gable roof

Started by azgreg, November 30, 2015, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azgreg

First off, great site. I love the owner-Builder Projects sub forum. I'm in the early, early, early, early (you get the idea  :)) stages of planning a retirement home. My first question for the board is what is the appropriate way to frame a cross gable roof. I've seen it done a number of ways. Sheathing the main structure then attach the valley jacks to that. Frame all at once with a common valley rafter. Or a valley board mounted to the main structure rafters. What are the pros and cons of all these?

Don_P

Do you want to pass through the cross gable... are the valleys exposed inside? Are all the pitches and widths the same or do they vary?

azgreg

Those are great questions. Pass through? I don't know. Haven't put much thought to that. I'm in the Mtn Don camp of a single floor, but my wife is thinking loft (she's a hiker dontcha know). I know I'd have the same pitch, but the widths might vary.

Don_P

It is certainly easier to frame with a level ceiling but can be anything from striking to useable if it has exposed valleys inside.
With different widths and the same pitch either the bottom of the roofs aligns, or the tops, or some point in between. This also affects how the framing is done.

If you haven't played with Sketchup yet, it can make this a good bit easier to visualize as you design it.

azgreg

Yes, I've recently downloaded Sketchup Make along with the House Builder plug in. I'm also considering getting Medeek's truss plug in. Good stuff. I use SolidWorks at work and recently designed a 8 x 12 shed I'm going to build this winter.

Don_P

You're seeing what I'm trying to draw from you, is this going to be a simple California overlay truss job or is it stick framed, and if so, what are you wanting in the finished product.

azgreg

Keep in mind I'm still trying to nail down the building lingo. To picture what I'm envisioning is something along the lines of John's Enchilada design. Think of a 16 x 30 main structure with matching 16 x 16 structures on each side. If I had my way (which I rarely do as I learned "yes dear" at an early age  :)) it would be a single story structure. If it's going to have a loft then I imagine the main structure with a loft and the 2 side structures having attic storage.

Don_P

A single story with low pitches and an open ceiling can be very beautiful. Energy and ease of construction favor level ceilings, where trusses would shine

azgreg

The way early plan is for drywall finishing (wife doesn't like a lot of wood) with exposed beams.

Don_P

This is one way of doing what I think I'm hearing, anyway might be a jumping off point. Just showing the roof major framing, no supports, etc

azgreg

A picture is worth a thousand words, more in this case. Thanks Don. That's what I'm looking at except more of a T than a t. When you look at it without the common rafters it's looks a lot more simple than I originally thought.