Electrical (code) question

Started by MushCreek, August 08, 2012, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

In designing our kitchen, I have to consider electrical codes. I have a 'problem' area I might have a solution to, but I'm not sure. It's hard to catch the inspector to ask questions. I will of course ask before I do it, but I figured you guys might know if its worth asking. Here goes:

My walls are very thick ICF. Because this sometimes leads to a tunnel effect, I am angling the returns 45 degrees on the sides to flare the opening. I have seen this done in England with thick stone walls. Anyhow, this leads to little space for outlets at the code-driven spacing. I won't have enough room under the windows, as they are too close to the counter surface. The window return on each side of the stove likewise doesn't leave much room for an outlet. My thought is to place the outlets on the angled window returns themselves. There is plenty of room, and it makes more room by having the appliance plugs set back from the wall rather than sticking out. My question is whether or not this will meet code. My only other option is to reduce or eliminate the flare. I could put outlets under the counter, but I don't like that set-up much. Attached is a section view of the window opening showing the outlet location. Thoughts?

Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

yankeeredneck

I might be wrong but if I remember right you should be fine as long as your 2ft away from any water source and it is a gfi outlet. In NC, almost all rooms now have to be on an arch fault but the kitchen and baths have to have a gfi 2ft from a water source. SC from what I have been told is much like NC in codes. If you were to call an electrician up, and if he/she is kind, they should be able to make sure for you. I know around here they will tell you.
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

rick91351

Hey Mush Creek that is a great illustration   [cool]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.