Why We Might Need Zoning Laws & Building Codes / Inspectors

Started by MountainDon, January 23, 2010, 12:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

my car wouldn't even make it up this driveway let alone over the break at the top... not without some body damage. The Jeep would be right at home.   ;D

Thanks to redoverfarm for some of these.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OkieJohn2

I am virtually speechless(typeless?)
Lets see HGTV's Curb Appeal tackle those first three photos.
The lightpole/balcony thing, if they made the holes in the decking bigger it would be a great emergency exit ala Firemans Pole.
The butchered joist plumbing, i saw an episode of Holmes on Homes that had a butchered bathroom remuddling that was nearly that bad.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

RainDog

Quote from: OkieJohn2 on January 23, 2010, 01:13:30 PM
I am virtually speechless(typeless?)
Lets see HGTV's Curb Appeal tackle those first three photos.
The lightpole/balcony thing, if they made the holes in the decking bigger it would be a great emergency exit ala Firemans Pole.
The butchered joist plumbing, i saw an episode of Holmes on Homes that had a butchered bathroom remuddling that was nearly that bad.

I kinda like the lightpole one.  ;D
NE OK

MountainDon

Google is a wonderful tool.  The problem driveways were "fixed" But it leaves you wondering about what sort of an approval process Fayetteville, AR has in place. Also makes one wonder about the integrity of the contractor/developer.

This does appear to be the same houses...

But the sidewalk and driveway have been broken up and replaced. Note the new sidewalk is closer to the street and the sriveway slope eased somewhat.

Follow these links to a Google maps street view...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=5028+New+Bridge+Road,+Fayetteville,+AR+72704&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.57764,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+Bridge+Rd,+Fayetteville,+Washington,+Arkansas+72704&ll=36.087708,-94.232504&spn=0.01245,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=36.087673,-94.232371&panoid=6BZb_FJ-9YHO4oELh1jOuw&cbp=12,358.77,,0,5

With this next one you have to turn the view to the right to look back up the street to see the curve in the sidewalk.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=5148+new+bridge+rd,+fayetteville+arkansas&ie=UTF8&split=0&layer=c&cbll=36.087644,-94.23221&panoid=yIy-oMJ28Q67hnNAWNYCVg&cbp=12,286.41,,0,5.65&hq=&hnear=New+Bridge+Rd,+Fayetteville,+Washington,+Arkansas+72704&ll=36.087673,-94.232354&spn=0.00841,0.012531&z=16

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

The one with the pole in the middle of the driveway gives a whole new meaning to his and her sides of the garage.  :)

As far as the steep driveways go, what zoning laws or building codes would have taken care of that?   ???

I know Americans are kind of known for being dumb, but what fool would consider buying either of those houses with impossible driveways?

On the other hand, I have seen driveways like that in LA, so????

Redoverfarm

Don what was the site that they were on.  I couldn't get it when I tried that is why I sent it to you.  There were a few more that were interesting.  Maybe members could go and look at some others and have a laugh of the day.

MountainDon

Don_P

Before the ICC website prostituted itself this guy posted a lot of pics of stuff he came across doin home inspections.

http://www.remasinspections.com/pictures.html

pagan

When I did insulation work it was common to find stink pipes and bathroom vent fans run up into the attics.

Squirl

Some building codes regulate the slope of a driveway to 14 degree angle.

Holmes on Homes is a big proponent of building codes and inspectors.  He always says that it is the only protection a homeowner that doesn't know construction has so that they know if the plans a contractor has is safe.  I tend to agree when watching his show and what contractors do to people and tell them they don't need a permit.

OkieJohn2

In related news......saw this this morning at yahoo.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_soil_shift_evacuation
This is in a big development of $250,000 homes and a retaining wall seems to have been built without permits.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools