Re-bar in sono tubes

Started by Shawn B, September 03, 2010, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn B

How much re-bar, in regards to spacing,  is needed for a 12" diameter sono tube? I'm thinking that 4   1/2" diameter re-bar in a square pattern sunk around 2' in the ground would be fine. Also there will be a footer of around 6"--12" deep.

These sono tubes will be holding up my 14' x 28' Builders Cottage and a 7' x 28' lean too addition. Tubes will be spaced roughly 5 1/2' apart.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

dug

That's what I used with my 12 in. tubes, with a couple of rings to strengthen it. I had heard that you shouldn't have the bars directly in the ground as it could start to rust and travel up the metal. Maybe not a real concern though. I bent mine in a U shape and propped them up off the bottom with small stones before I poured.

Rover

Yup, they should be propped off the bottom and not touching the dirt.  Don't use a clay brick because they will wick up moisture.  I think this rule is important where the rebar is lying horizontally along footings.  Maybe not a big issue with rebar vertically in a post.

Do keep the rebar 2" from the side of the form.

MountainDon

Yes, do not drive them into the ground.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

There are several plastic chairs you can purchase for this usage.  They are very inexpensive.  If you do not have a construction outlet close there are a couple mail order places on the net and the big box stores carry a few. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Shawn B

Thanks for the info about not letting the re-bar touch the ground. Had to re-search what a "chair" is, but when I saw them at the lumber yard I realized that I had seen these before. Will use the chairs for sure in the footers.

Now the sono tubes that Lowes and Menards have run a +/- 1/2" difference in diameter! Is this normal?
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

dug

QuoteNow the sono tubes that Lowes and Menards have run a +/- 1/2" difference in diameter! Is this normal?

Yep. So they can ship and store them more efficiently.

Shawn B

That's what I was thinking.....for storage.