Builders risk insurance

Started by devildog, December 04, 2009, 03:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog

Im trying to get builders risk ins. on my place, but was told by 2  agencies today that they would not insure my home if the primary source of heat is a wood burning stove.

I didnt think to ask them till now if that meant  I need another primary source or if they will not insure a wood burning stove at all. Has anyone else had this problem?  What  kind of ins. do youll have?

Do I also need liability in case someone(subcontractor) gets hurt?

From my understanding bilders risk only covers fire,theft, etc.
thanks Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

MountainDon

One reason insurers will frequently turn you down if the primary source of heat is wood is they do not want to be faced with claims on frozen pipes. Perhaps if you had something like electric heat or propane they would reconsider. That way if you are away and the wood fire goes out the electric or propane will keep the place warm. There could also be other reasons or a refusal, of course.

Some zoning departments won't let you build a home without something other than wood. I believe Creative1 ran into that hoop.

Any licensed help you hire should have their own insurance to cover their own injuries as well as any damage they cause plus any of their goof ups. Should, but not always so. The best advice is to insist on seeing proof of insurance. That will weed out a number of your choices, MTL. Then it's up to whether or not your exposure is worth the risk.  ??? ???

You might be able to get extra cost personal liability insurance along with the builders package.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_M

I'm in the same boat..looking for fire and theft insurance on my unfinished structure!

Your homeowners insurance (if you have a home) should have what they call an umbrella policy that would cover liability at your property.  Talk to your insurance agent.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

ScottA

We had builders risk. It was $360 for a year. We now have homeowners and they had no problem with the woodstove. I told them I have electric heat as a backup. Which I do in the form of a space heater. I may install a heat and A/C unit instead of just an A/C so I'll be covered. I wonder if you could get them to wave the heat requirment by having them add a no freeze damage clause in your policy.

devildog

Ive got to call allstate back on monday they gave me an email quote, $265 yr. but after they ask me more questions I might get turned down again.
I have thrown around the idea of doing a split ductless system, because they're alot cheaper than central air. but still would use the wood burning stove primarily ;)

The insurance I have now is a noname that took forever to find because no one wants to insure mobile homes in florida anymore and I also have to carry a seperate liability  ins. because I live on church property. its very expensive. I think just under $900 yr. I say this because I dont mind paying a little extra to cover it, knowing that it'll come down when I change to homeowner policy.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985