Mildew this year

Started by Yankeesouth, October 25, 2013, 10:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

I know folks from all over the country, even world, chime in on this site but I have a question. Regardless of where you are located, did it seem like there was more mildew/mold this year? My place is in the Northeast  (PA) and for the first time we had mildew on the wood inside the cabin. We would leave for 3 weeks to a month....and when we came back....bam...mildew, the green dusty stuff. This never happened before. Also....this is the first year I saw a very light orangish dusting on my lawnmower and shoes when I cut my lawn. I was told it was some type of mold spore.  Any thoughts?

UK4X4

Molds only exist with moisture

heres a full publication from the EPA for removal and treatment

http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html

My garage in the UK was always a home for mold and rust- untill I changed out the roof- it used to have a concrete type corrigated roof- I changed it out to clear double cell plastic roofing

Its now dry warm and not a green spot in sight !

Maybe need to look into leaks - or add some ventilation

Some molds and spores are dangerous to health,,wear a mask when cleaning it up !

Don_P

Yes, it was a banner year for mold, and mushrooms, for us. It was very wet and high humidity kept us "in the zone" for a good bit of the summer. Sawing green trees into lumber and trying to beat the bluestain fungi was nearly impossible, I grew downright hairy lumber several times  :P. I was running a fan in the shop but pushing around 90% humidity just doesn't promote drying. I've wiped a good bit of mildew off the woodwork in our house also for the same reason. Heat and vent works to lower humidity as does air conditioning. The heat doesn't have to be much, a few degrees lowers the relative humidity enough to stop mildew, that's what those plug in gold sticks for closets are doing.