Old Forum

Started by StinkerBell, November 27, 2007, 11:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

I was able to pull up the old forum in error today. I have not cleared my old addy for it. I don't anyone can post on it, but it may cause confusion and look like a dead forum for those seeking it out...

John Raabe

For now the old forum is up and I do not have it locked (as I don't seem to be able to do that!) ???

It is confusing to have both available. Please post only in the new forum.

Glenn is trying to bring over some of the old threads and needs to have access. It was previously locked in Maintenance mode but then we couldn't get to the content.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

StinkerBell

Welcome to the wonderful world of data management.... d*

StinkerBell

Another heads up.

I am sure you guys know this stuff but just in case you don't. When I am on the main countryplans site and looking at floor plans. If I enter on a link to someones floor plan (to see a variation of a plan) It goes back to the old forum and what is worse is I can not see the link, it shows as deleted....... :( I am sure it isnt just hiding somewhere..... :)

MountainDon

I see what you mean!  :o

Starting at the CountryPlans.com webpage...
http://countryplans.com/
right?

Then picking some plan from the left sidebar, titled "PLANS", like the
"20' wide 2-story cottage plans"
That takes you to here...
http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/57.html

Then scrolling down to where it states:
"If you would like to see an owner-built version of this house, click on the Jimmy Cason project in Texas and read his story as posted in the CountryPlans.com owner-builder forum."

In the above if you click on either Jimmy Cason project in Texas or the link to the forum CountryPlans.com owner-builder forum, you end up at the old Yabb2 site, rather than going to the new forum.

Don't do any of the above, then Stink.  ;D
Thanks for the heads up...
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Don't do any of the above, then Stink.  Grin

You do know that cause you have said not too, I now want too. ;D

MountainDon

The cause? Probably just one of the many things that need to be attended to when a web site changes. There's usually dozens, hundreds, or more, links on one place like the plans site that allow direct access to another like the forum. The old forum addresses, though. And it's a pain in the neck to change them all.

It's a problem that takes time.

Don't be bad and go posting there, because no one will read it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Thanks for the heads up on this.  ;D

This is a problem that I need to address by editing the links in the plan information HTML.

Probably costing me plan sales!  d* and is not very professional.

John

PS - If you find one that is broken, please post a link here as some are pretty deep into the pages. Thanks

StinkerBell

John Raabe

One thing I'm doing tonight is taking off some of the old forums and threads that did make it over here with little trouble.

I am deleting the Off Topic and Land forums. They seem to be complete here on the new forum and doing this may reclaim enough room that the YaBB forum files can run for awhile longer.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: StinkerBell on November 27, 2007, 04:18:14 PM

Don't do any of the above, then Stink.  Grin

You do know that cause you have said not too, I now want too. ;D

Typical, Stink, typical. [undecided2]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I'll try to check a bit more on this tonight -- gotta work ...again.  I was getting broke so am forced to do it...:)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.