Cedar shakes over horizontal lap siding

Started by hnash53, April 27, 2010, 08:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

Can cedar shakes be installed over horizontal lap siding... or does the horizontal siding need to be removed?

Thanks for your input.

Hal

MikeT

First I would assume that underneath the horizontal lap siding is sheathing that is in good shape.  And then a layer of tar paper or Tyvek, or some barrier.

With that out of the way, I would question the integrity of the horizontal siding.  Is it in good shape?  You don't want to be nailing shingles or shakes into siding that is not going to hold nails.  Then the question I would have would center around the reveal you plan for the shakes as it relates to the laps.  Are you going to be able to nail into the siding at a point where the siding and the shakes touch?

Perhaps I am not following, but those are some things I would want to know about.....

hnash53

The horizontal lap siding is in good shape and painted.  I just want a different kind of siding and don't want paint.  I was just wondering whether such a thing could be done.  I'm confident that the underlying sheathing is in good condition.  I want a different look and don't want to have to maintain a painted surface.

Yes your thoughts are correct.  It makes sense to nail the shakes where they meet the lap siding.

I'm a natural wood kind of guy and don't like paint.

Any additional thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.  Thanks.

MikeT

As I usually do, I will defer to others for more experienced opinions, but as long as each shake has two nails that sufficiently sink into the siding and that the nails are covered by the subsequent course, I cannot imagine a reason why this would be bad.  You would have plenty of air underneath so any penetrating water will not do any damage.

Again, what do other say?

PEG688

You'll create major dis-functions  at every type of opening window / door / dryer vents / hose bibbs/ elect outlets  etc . Where the shakes project way beyond the window / door  flanges / brick mold /  light, hose bibb, elec.  blocks / all those area will create either bad "karma" water getting behind the shakes , between the two siding types. And also ugly looking connections.

Being the bevel and the shakes have different exposures you'll be forced to nail the shakes thru the area thats not supported at least some of the time. Causing other issues.

About the only siding you can "lay over" and leave in place is T1-11.

All that being said sure you could do it , it's just not a good idea.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

hnash53

Thanks for your input.  I pretty much thought it was a long shot.  I had thought about the issue of going around windows, door, penetrations, etc.

Peg's comments confirmed my thoughts.  Thanks to all who responded.