Oldest Town In Texas

Started by TeeCee19, July 24, 2010, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I agree with the planning, planning..... and drawing. It helps visualize how things will, or should, go together.  :)

Start with the foundation, floor and work up to the roof.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TeeCee19

Finally went back after the weekend I cleared the lot. Taken me this long to get the pictures set up from my visit March18-20 Will post them below this post..forgot how to do it....brb...
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Here are some of the pics from the cleared lot. They don't look like much; but a lotta work was done. When I take some pics with a real camera , should look better. These are from my I Phone..     The last two pictures just show we managed to enjoy the trip as well. Deep fried turkey(Texas style) and the "boss" sippin a cold adult beverage!
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Mind you in both the last two pics you see a pack of cigarettes in both pictures..Neither of us (me and boss) smoke, but, my cousins and neighbors do..I only posted this because I try to get them to quit EVERY time I see them. Pictures turned out pretty good...
A few questions for the "experts". I am ready to start this summer on the building. I know the size I want(sorta...LOL). I like the Little House Plans because I can build both the "storage shed" and the house with the same basic look in mind. However, I may want the "cottage" to be a little bigger than the 16 X 24.
1)So, first question is, do I buy the Little House Plans and increase them? Or do I buy plans for a bigger house and tweak them smaller?
2)I live 2.5 hours away from my "getaway". I am a first time builder. There have been suggestions from several folks about cutting pieces here in Dallas and taking them with me. But since I have electricity (and generator if need be), will have a SAFE place to store things, wouldnt it serve me best to build on site? ( I know I'm gonna make mistakes!!!)
3) Is it normal to be all of a sudden a bit like a deer staring at headlights? I don't know where to start? Buying up tools this month and next month to get started.
HELP, PANIC
Tee Cee

nathan.principe

Glad to see your getting things rolling! and to add thats a beautiful peice of property [cool]  I can answer your questions about the little house plans because I am not familiar with them, but I do have some suggestions

1. Keep it simple!!! If I could start over I would have went with a more strait forward design, not necessarily smaller, just simpler
2. buy your self some simple drafting tools ( scale, triangles, etc.) this will help you in the planning stages to see it come to life on paper
3. There is nothing wrong with cutting your materials here in dallas, that way you can be working on your cabin even when you are not there!
    If you are not completely comfortable cutting everything pre-cut, then just do the simple stuff, like common studs or the floor and rim joists.   
    There is no reason for stuff like that to change dimensions ( unless you change the plans)   Then just save all the other things to be cut on 
     site like the headers, cripple studs, and rafters and such
4. Dont get overwhelmed either by think about the whole project all at once ( yes do think about the whole project n the planning stages
    tho) just take your approach a step at a time, first put all your though and effort in the foundation till its complete then start thinkning about the subfloor, etc.  you wont get overwhelmed that way

TeeCee19

Thanks..I do love the property as well. It's been in the family long before I was born! Amazing I get to place a "cottage" on it. (term we use in our lake club charter)Thanks for your advice, that does make it seem more manageable.  My problem with cutting pieces here in Dallas was that I didn't wanna haul so much stuff up and down 175 and 204 every other weekend or two...I thought if I built the storage shed (3 or 4 days ) I wouldnt have to haul my tools back and forth. My property is secured, and there are a few folks nearby every weekend. One caretaker is there every day for part of the day..I still may keep a saw here and try cutting those pieces u suggested. As far as planning, I will really dig into my plan for now. When you say simple, are you meaning simple plan as in shape, size, etc..? Don't deviate from the original plan? I actually would like it to be a little bigger than the 16 X 24 plan, but, not the same type scale as the 16 X 28. Know what im saying. I like the Little House Plan better than the Cottage plan, but I want that size of the Cottage Plan. Am I making sense?...LOL..HELP AGAIN...
Tee Cee

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Check out the Enchilada plan set... it is made to be expandable in different interesting directions and in phases if desired.  A bit taller on the little house section of it could give you expanded loft space while still staying with the same width as designed, preventing loading problems.

Nice place.  Looks like it will be fun.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TeeCee19

Thanks for the compliments on the property Sassy and Glenn!! Im so excited I can barely work today..LOL..Enchilada plans are the ones I originally wanted to purchase. d* SO I guess I'm back to looking at purchasing them.  :D By me being a first time builder, I didn't want to complicate matters any worse than they are gonna be. Just be ready to answer a LOT of questions. Retiring teacher-coach in June. I hate getting things wrong. LOL
Tee Cee

OlJarhead

I'd get the Whole Enchilada plans and tweak them -- John sends a ton of info with them too and the forum can provide assistance.

It's really quite easy IMHO.  Just pick a size (say 16x24) run some span numbers (use a span calculator - lots of links here - to determine required joist sizes etc) and get to work :)

You could also look at other projects that are a bit larger (like Mountain Don's place) then the builder.

Also, with the enchilada plans you get the Victorian cottage stuff (add all three buildings together to make a nice cottage).

Win win!

I prefer building on site myself but plan every trip and always remember:  home is a long way to drive if I forget something SO MAKE LISTS and check them twice!

Good luck!  You'll make it!  Have confidence! :D

glenn kangiser

I was thinking it is the Builders Cottage, but yes - it is a great choice of plans I think.  Very versatile.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

When you build on site you get to enjoy your property, too  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free