problem bear

Started by dug, June 11, 2011, 08:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Look who came sauntering up my driveway yesterday-

Not the most polite visitor, but I guess I've had worse-

The extended drought has been driving many critters out of the parched mountains and down into our river valley, last week we had a herd of about 30 elk in our yard.

This juvenile delinquent has been double tagged and I'm guessing his third strike may be his last. I admit that a freezer full of bear meat has crossed my mind but I have a soft spot in my heart for all wild animals and I have always especially liked bears. I would like to see him reformed, though I doubt his chances are very good.

I unloaded my Ruger 10/22 in his general vicinity, kicking up dirt and gravel all around him which did scare him off but he was back within a half an hour looking for another meal out of my trash can. I have a feeling he will be back today.

Anyone know a method to instill a genuine fear of humans in wild critters without putting a hole in them? Rubber bullets?  ???

peternap

As much as I love to hunt I have to confess a soft spot for bears too dug.

Beautiful bear!

Load a couple shotgun shells with rocksalt or peppercorns and give his backsides a good dose. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to kill him.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rwanders

Dug & Peter, I agree about bears----always thought we predators should stick together---sort of like union brothers.

Herbivores get all the sympathy---we get rock salt in our butts.

;D
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida