Metal Roof and Chimney Problem

Started by peteh2833, January 01, 2011, 12:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

Here is a pic of my current setup at camp. There is no problems with the draft due to height. My problem is I got a call this morning from the neighbor who stated the heavy snow pack on the roof let loose with the warmer weather and wiped out the chimney. Apparently it pulled the pipe right up out of the roof and now there is just the rubber boot left. Any suggestions on keeping this from happening again? The roof is metal and a 12/12 pitch. Camp is over 2hrs away and I hope too much water isn't coming in !! Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

cbc58

bummer.  pretty sure they make a v-like bracket that attaches on the pipe and then to the roof for this very reason.   not sure how it would attach to a metal roof though...

MountainDon

A chimney to roof brace kit. Or two

Also constructing a "splitter" to make the snow divert around the chimney pipe. Not sure how I'd do that off hand though.

G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

a local company here in Oklahoma uses metal conduit cut to length and smashed on the ends for bracing.
conduit is thin enough to run a metal screw through into your chimney cap.
the other end I would screw into the metal roof cap between ribs.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peteh2833 on January 01, 2011, 12:21:28 PM
Thanks. I will brace it and get some type of diverter.

About the same problem that I had except that mine was the vent stack.  Set on the lower 1/3 of the roof.  I am sure that a diverter & bracing would help.  The diverter should be more than just an angle on the pipe width IMO.  Maybe make it at least 10" from the peak (cutting edge) to the pipe to cut and seperate the snow. 

The ultimate fix would be to re-route the pipe on the interior to exit the roof on the upper 1/3 of the roof.

rwanders

Best permanent fix is to re-route to as close to the peak as possible---I lived in an area with 330" average snowfall (yes--almost 30 feet) and found "splitters" to be unreliable at best but, if that's all you can do-----make it big and screw it down as securely as possible.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida