5x10 or 6x10

Started by tomoakes, February 03, 2015, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomoakes

Hello,
My son and I are about to build a enclosed trailer conversion, we are wondering what size is better in towing comfort. A 5x10+v or a 6x10+v? Also is a TORSION Axle better, or save the money and go with a leaf spring.. thank you
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.. We will be towing it with our FJ

MountainDon

Depends on what will be the tow vehicle. Small vehicle the 5 wide is probably better, less wind resistance. Bigger vehicle, the 6 wide would be fine. Our Tacoma ('06) hauls our 6 wide easy. The Tacoma is wide enough to permit towing the 6 wide with the stock mirrors too. Smaller, narrower vehicle might not.   Note, there is a great small trailer forum, Teardrops N Tiny Travel Trailers that also has a converted cargo trailer section.

Torsion axle rides smoother. I personally don't know if that is worthwhile in something people don't ride in going down the road? So far I am not unhappy with our leaf spring setup on out CT.

G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.