Acronyms, Abbreviations and the like...

Started by MountainDon, March 26, 2008, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Some of us use acronyms, abbreviations and the like in our posts more than others. Sometimes as we read others posts we wonder WTHDTM. {What The Heck Does That Mean} It can leave one quite puzzled. At times one comes up with a completely wrong idea, like the time I was trying to figure out MTL {more than likely}. Due to message context I thought it might be some variant of MDF {medium density fiberboard  :-\} So here's place to compile a list of definitions. Some of these may be building related, some are more general internet/email shorthand. I'll get this off to a start with a few that come readily to mind.

MTL {More Than Likely} it could help in the future if any postings use one line per item, listing the term first  in caps, leave a few spaces and then the meaning. Like this;

MTL        more than likely
YMMV     your mileage may vary
OMMV     others mileage may vary

S/L        skylight
S/R        sheet rock
D/W       dry wall

FWIW    for what it's worth
IMO       in my opinion
IMHO     in my humble opinion (FWIW, when IMHO is used instead of IMO, probably not really humble)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

John Raabe

NTS = not to scale. Add this to a plan when you change a dimension but don't want to redraw the whole drawing to scale.
SGD = sliding glass door
HDR = header
CL   = center line
FTG = footing

None of us are as smart as all of us.

ILFE

MountainDon, I'm not sure if it is an available mod for Simple Machines? (I've never used SM software for my forums.) Anyway, in new versions of some forum packages, there is an option to add acronyms in the admin control panel. After an acronym, along with its long description, has been added, you can post the acronym in any reply on the site. The acronym will have a dotted underline. This shows the reader they can mouse over the acronym to read a popup revealing the full details.

You can't see it, but I had moused over "YMMV". This is part of Invision Powerboard forum software.

I have to say, I do like the option, now that it is part of the forum package.
Paul