4 x 4 as a foundation

Started by new land owner, October 24, 2016, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Next springs project is a small building 12 x 16 that my wife will use as a place to get away from camp and do crafts.  This will also be used as a guest cottage when needed. It will be unheated as we will be at camp only in the summer.  There will also be no plumbing with the exception of a small sink for clean up that will drain into a dry well.  I was thinking of post and beam as in my screen house on tool shed but I am leaning towards just putting down 4 4 x 4 x 12' PT Lumber instead. My neighbor has a nice camp made for an Amish building he had delivered. it is sitting on 4 x 4's and the only issue he has is being very cold in the winter.

Has anyone done a building like this? 

ChugiakTinkerer

I have a 12x12 shed sitting on PT 4x4 bunks.  Depending on your use and the ground conditions that may be more than sufficient.  I would put some crushed packed gravel under each of the PT beams, although 4x4 could be on the small side.  6x6 or railroad ties would distribute load better.  Where will this be and what is the ground snow load in the area?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

GaryT

I built a 10x14 shed a few years ago for us.  I laid down a perimeter of 6x6's sitting on about a foot of gravel, then built a conventionally framed floor (pressure treated lumber).  We're in southern Vermont.  The shed has never moved or heaved.
Gary