FYI-Katrina Cottages from Lowes

Started by hunter63, September 10, 2007, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter63

Just a FYI
Was in sun paper flyer, plans kind of pricy, so anyway, several to chose from:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...inaCottage.html

MikeG

I saw those and looked them up...an awful lot of money for the product, I'd say!

Sounds like they are trying to capitalize on the event "Katrina"....no bigger than they are, they are similar to other tiny homes on wheels...though they seem like a nice package and quality built, the prices are too high for me.

Perhaps they are exactly right for someone else.
MikeG

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yeah, I looked at those too and thought they were really cute, but awfully expensive for what you're getting.  Some of them cost around what my mom paid for her house (2 bedrooms, attached garage, three or four lots, hardwood floors, etc.)  Granted, Mom bought her house about 15 years ago, but still I can't imagine paying what they're asking for one and still having to buy land and any extra materials, etc, OR pay a builder and still having such a teensy tiny house!

raybob

I've been looking at them, too.  But, you are right, they do want a pretty penny for them it's not as it they let you handpick the lumber.

However, I *do* like some of the floor plans.  I found one I really liked but wonder how difficult it is to move it to one of John's plans.  I don't know the difference between the "Builder's Cottage" and the "Victoria's Cottage" plan set.  The one Katrina floor plan I like seems like a mix between the Builder's Cottage, the Victoria's Cottage, the 1 1/2 floor plan, and the 2 floor plan.

Hey, John, how hard would it be to use the Builder's Cottage plan set, expand it to 16' wide and 34' long, build an L'shaped staircase to the second floor?  The builder's cottage has a ladder, Victoria's cottage has an addition I don't want, the 1 1/2 floor plan has a bedroom on the first floor I don't want, and I don't want 2 floors, just 1 1/2.

Bob

glenn kangiser

Widening plans is more of a problem than lengthening plans as you are working with different loading.  I would just take the Victoria and drop the addition you don't want.  Make it longer if desired isn not a problem -- loadings remain the same then continuing with similar footing spacing etc.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWIS

My problem is I need to widen...... bought the 1 1/2, but now am at 28' wide.  Do any of the other plans have a segment that is this wide and depicts the cor\ect joists and beams for bigger spans??

glenn kangiser

Widest is the Saltbox at 24 as far as I know.  Could you use an 8' addition on the side of the 20 wide or maybe 2 14' wides side by sid e with a bearing wall in the center?

Maybe not practical - I'm just kicking out a couple ideas because I don't know exactly what you are dealing with.  That would keep you in a standard type plan.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

The Universal Cottage has two options for load bearing. One is the full span of the 20' width (usually with I-joists) and the second is to have an interior beam and posts that pick up the standard joists (with 10' spans) and carries this load to footings down the centerline of the building. This is the same system I used in the 24' wide solar saltbox.

The Universal cottage could be expanded to 24', 26', 28' or wider and still use the same basic layout. There would be modifications, of course as the joists, beams and piers will need to be adjusted for the new spans and loads. But this is not a big project and a local home designer could work these up for you. You may want them work up your final floorplans and elevations at any rate.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

What about an add-on optional plan sheet  or another plan package for sale  for that plan explaining how to do that.  It could cover quite a few peoples desire for a wider house.

Just an idea.  Trusses could be purchased locally to cover any width.

John Raabe

Very good idea Glenn. Let me work on this.   :)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

FrankInWI

will be very interested in that John.  ut would help me out, and I think a few others I saw would like the help on how to go wider if need be (I can't go long and skinny, lot layout constraints).
god helps those who help them selves

travcojim

Something like this is a great layout.  Still think this plan would be a great seller.  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172458072