saving a coyote

Started by curlewdave, February 12, 2012, 07:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curlewdave

Many may not understand what I did today, but.... I did it anyway... My wife, fighting inoperable cancer and loving every moment of life, and myself, along with two small dogs, took a walk behind our house up on a logging road.  We discovered a young coyote in a leg trap, very weak and tired.  We called the state game dept., and a young guy came out to dispatch it. He took a look, and since it was caught by a back leg, wanted to know if I would release the trap if he snared it's head and I covered it with a blanket.  Well, it worked.  Don't know if the young'n  make it through the night, but it was sure happy to have some freedom.  My wife felt very good, as life is very precious to her at this point......

peternap

My prayers for you, your Wife and family Dave.
While I doubt the Trapper is very happy with you, I understand.

We all reach a stage or at least most of us, where we realize all life is precious and has meaning. I've never treated shooting groundhogs a sport or trapping/shooting Coyotes for fun.

It's one of those things I have to do from time to time to correct an imbalance we created and it's distasteful.

I honestly think God adds a good neighbor check in the book for acts like yours!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sassy

Sorry to hear about your wife, my prayers are w/all of you...  sounds like you are making the best of your time together.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Squirl

Well I'm glad to hear that faced with such adversity, you are keeping good spirits and making to most of life.

On the trapping issue, I wouldn't worry as much about the trapper.  In my state traps must be labeled, set with permission of the land owner, and checked every 24 hours.  I don't know what the season is there, but it closes here in 2 days. Based on your description somebody wasn't being ethical in their approach.  I assume that is why the state game warden was for release. I hunt, fish, and members of my family have supplemented an income with trapping.  The ethics of it are important to some.

curlewdave

Thanks.  There was no trapper I.D. tag on the trap, so the warden left a note on the tree that the trap was attached to.   I'll ask around town at our old-timers coffee get-together at the local restaurant this morning and see if I can trace the guy down.  He did lose a nice trap!

peternap

Quote from: Squirl on February 13, 2012, 09:52:29 AM
Well I'm glad to hear that faced with such adversity, you are keeping good spirits and making to most of life.

On the trapping issue, I wouldn't worry as much about the trapper.  In my state traps must be labeled, set with permission of the land owner, and checked every 24 hours.  I don't know what the season is there, but it closes here in 2 days. Based on your description somebody wasn't being ethical in their approach.  I assume that is why the state game warden was for release. I hunt, fish, and members of my family have supplemented an income with trapping.  The ethics of it are important to some.

Here, property owners are exempt from tagging and we have a continuous open season on Yotes. To be honest, I use snares for them now bt I don't set anything this time of year. Too many pregnant animals to risk it. This is one of my Bobcats from last week and she definitely has buns in the oven.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

We can not really know the emotions and concerns you and your wife are experiencing at this time.  Please know however our thoughts, prayers and hearts do go out to you. 

There is hardly a more fitting animal to have turned loose.  On the railroad I experienced death a lot.  Human, wildlife and livestock.  It really started to get to me.  Then I started to notice the coyotes more and more, as they were making their rounds looking for their daily rations.  Of all the k nines they never nested well with man.  They are a true independent sort.  That has always to me meant life, and life lived to the fullest.  I sort of clung to them when the memories started to creep in and get a hold of me.     

Indeed growing up, we were never allowed to shoot a coyote without a good reason.  My dad was quick to defend them because of the good they did.  Mice and ground squirrels are a mainstay of their diet.  Two if the things we do not want around.  Why not let mother nature, in this case coyotes take care of them?  Dad queried us.  Oh there was a line he had drawn like when they would wonder in to close to the sheep or to the house and out buildings, then he would let them know it.  There again I think it was a lot of posturing.  I have learned a lot about life from coyotes.  Thanks for the act of kindness.  A lesson this young one will not soon forget.         

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NM_Shooter

I'm not fond of coyotes.. they are hell on elk calves.  One of then found a way into my chicken coop and killed them all, just for the sport of it. 

I had to recently dispatch one that was in a trap that belongs to a friend who was out of town.  He has had problems with them on his rural property killing his dogs.  I went to his home that night not expecting the work I had to do to be so difficult, but it was.  Maybe because they resemble dogs so much.  I don't like to kill things that I don't eat.  For some reason though, I have no qualms about shooting rabbits and squirrels out of my garden. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"