Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act 2-16-9

Started by glenn kangiser, February 16, 2009, 02:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Sure. If you do a google search, there may still be a picture of the HARP. During the AW Ban, I build a pump action AR15 pistol. I used an 80% receiper from the Tannery shop and made the rest. Later I used a Swaged receiver and a surplus machine gun barrel to build a single shot .50BMG (Kicked so bad I hated to shoot it)

I had a lot of fun before I really got into muzzleloaders. ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

John_C

Quote from: NM_Shooter on February 18, 2009, 09:16:03 AM
.... How about this... let's not increase the restriction on law abiding citizens in order to try to prevent felons from possessing firearms.  Let's increase the penalty that felons have to deal with if caught breaking the law! 

And the choir said,  AMEN.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Squirl

I agree the penalty should be increased.  So when contacting your congressional representative to protest the bill, it can be helpful to propose an alternative solution to the current problem.  Congress can no longer impose mandatory sentences on criminals (unconstitutional) but they can increase the federal sentencing guidelines.  There is a current problem with more criminals illegally possessing and committing violent crimes with a gun.  There has been a spike in gun violence in the past few years in most cities large and small.  So there is a growing chorus of people looking to their representatives for a solution.  It helps if the other chorus pre-empts this with a solution of their own.

BTW Peter,  I don't think the crack heads and dealers that I have seen, even with there full effort, could even close to accomplish what you could with a minor effort.

peternap

Quote from: Squirl on February 18, 2009, 11:31:16 AM

BTW Peter,  I don't think the crack heads and dealers that I have seen, even with there full effort, could even close to accomplish what you could with a minor effort.

No they won't...but if the supply of legitimate guns dries up, someone will and sell them at premium prices.
Solution to gun violence, look at Virginia. A LARGE percentage of Virginians have started carrying a gun and violent crime has gone DOWN!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Squirl on February 18, 2009, 11:31:16 AM
  So when contacting your congressional representative to protest the bill, it can be helpful to propose an alternative solution to the current problem. 

Excellent idea!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

apaknad

this argument has been gone over many times but i will add my two cents. gun restriction laws for our law abiding citizens ONLY work for the criminals. how is it that people for these laws are so short sighted that they won't except the facts and studies that show where law abiding people are allowed access to gun ownership the rate of crimes go down. IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!!!
i believe that it is just a personal distaste for guns that skews the anti-gun owners ability to deal with the facts.
that being said, i just purchased a benelli super black eagle 12 gauge shotgun, a marlin 450 guide gun and a S&W 357 magnum and have been buying bulk ammo where practical for all my firearms. so for all you anti- gunners out there i say "tough t_____s, deal with it". oh and BTW, firearm ownership is allowed by the constitution.
dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Windpower

Meanwhile over at

http://www.urbansurvival.com/week.htm

today....

"Even more insidious is the current ammunition shortage...which reads like an end-run around the efforts of the Gun Owners of America, the National Rifle Association, and the Second Amendment Foundation which are committed to maintaining the integrity of the Second Amendment.

If you're a long-time reader, you might recall that I started talking about the ammunition shortages two or three years ago.  I'd mentioned this at the time to the fellow across the road and remember he'd said he hasn't seen any shortages.

Yet on Wednesday he called and said, essentially, that he was trying to get some ammo and had just run head-on into my ammunition shortages.  He reported that several kinds of ammo that we was interested in were showing as "Out of stock" at Cheaper Than Dirt...and some that were showing as 'ion stock' resulted in emails later saying 'Sorry, out of stock on that, too.' 

Yep, when I first started covering ammunition shortages back in March of 2006 it looked like a leading edge of the larger "encounters with scarcity meme" but as things have evolved, it may be an end-run around outright gun control.  Guns are, after all, not much use without something to put in them."

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

peternap

Quote from: apaknad on February 19, 2009, 09:09:02 AM
short sighted that they won't except the facts and studies that show where law abiding people are allowed access to gun ownership the rate of crimes go down. IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!!!
i believe that it is just a personal distaste for guns that skews the anti-gun owners ability to deal with the facts.

I'm not sure I would lump them all in one group Dan. Sure, there are the wild eyed anti gun ranters that hate guns, gun people and anything associated with guns.

Then there are people like Squirl. He is a middle of the roader and his concerns are making sure people with guns are trained and are good people. You can't fault the theory behind that. All good people should feel that way.

The flaw in his argument is that in the real world, no form of gun control works and licensing in any form is always abused by the government.

I happen to feel that concealed weapons permits can lead to registration in states like Virginia, that have a RIGHT to buy, sell and carry a gun with no licensing. That doesn't necessarily make the people who love their CHP's ....anti gun or pro licensing!

apaknad

i have run into some difficulty but still manage to get bulk ammo. my last purchase was 500 rds. of good quality .308 winchester(in high demand) about two weeks ago delivered to my door. all the common calibers are getting harder to get at a moments notice but the manufacturers are gearing up to the task to get that money while they can. i too have been keeping an eye on this situation for some time now and while i am not yet ready to say it is an end around run by the gun grabbers i do say be watchful and deligent.

apaknad

i'm cranky i guess today peter, i just get tired of this crap sometimes and as you may know haven't been on this site for awhile so i had forgotten squirls position... my apologies to squirl for taking a positive approach to things he feels like pointing out whether i agree with him or not and yes training is very important in gun ownership and handling. i will now go stand in front of the mirror and slap myself.

peternap

Quote from: apaknad on February 19, 2009, 10:11:47 AM
i'm cranky i guess today peter, i just get tired of this crap sometimes and as you may know haven't been on this site for awhile so i had forgotten squirls position... my apologies to squirl for taking a positive approach to things he feels like pointing out whether i agree with him or not and yes training is very important in gun ownership and handling. i will now go stand in front of the mirror and slap myself.

Now on the other hand, we did have one member who advocated beating people to death with a pipe, but felt guns were bad and hunters killed animals with laser sights from a mile away. The only person here I have ever really disliked!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

"Now on the other hand, we did have one member who advocated beating people to death with a pipe, but felt guns were bad and hunters killed animals with laser sights from a mile away. The only person here I have ever really disliked!"

a little bit schizophrenic

;D

Windpower

Windpower

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp, whose parents were killed by an insane gunman while her gun was out in the car, gives very moving and bold testimony about the REAL reason for the second amendment: to protect our God-given right to keep and bear arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz__JEcpzA&eurl=http://www.waketheflockup.com/&feature=player_embedded

NM_Shooter

Here's a tip on how to buy ammo from a pseudo-government source.

Join a gun club that has a CMP (civilian marksmanship program).  Go to ONE of their CMP shoots.  Ask for a completion certificate.

You can now purchase guns and ammo from www.odcmp.com

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Well now, today I received the first response to my letters I wrote to my Congressman and New Mexico's two Senators. Maybe the only response?

It's more or less the sort of reply I expected; weasel words included. I asked them point blank for their thoughts on HR45 and gun ownership in general. Here's the meat from newly elected Senator Udall [D]...

I believe in the Second Amendment and the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. Moreover, I believe this right can be reconciled with reasonable and limited safety measures that do not infringe on Americans' constitutional rights. I believe that the Constitution gives us the right to own firearms for the protection of self, family, and property, and for sporting purposes such as hunting and skeet shooting. For generations, many New Mexicans have exercised this right in a responsible way and should be able to continue to do so.

Debates on gun legislation and crime often evoke strong responses, because we are attempting to balance an individual's constitutional rights against society's interest in maintaining public safety and combating crime. While I support the Second Amendment, I believe that our communities have an obligation to protect citizens from senseless gun violence. As a former federal prosecutor and Attorney General of New Mexico, my firsthand experiences with the numerous crimes committed with firearms lead me to believe that these crimes are among the most heinous. They should be prosecuted as quickly and forcefully as possible.

...Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should H.R. 45, or any similar legislation, come before the Senate for a vote.

peternap

MountainDon

That first letter was just a start; a get to ya' kind of thing.   ;D

MountainDon

The NRA gave Udall a grade of D-minus in 2006, and in contrast, has been supported by groups such as The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. His anti-gun status has been reaffirmed by his voting record for bills such as the Firearms Manufacturers Protection Bill, which was passed in the House in 2005, but received a "no" vote by Udall. He voted "no" on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which passed in the House as well.

cordwood

I would like get one of our voting elected officials alone sometime and give them a simple scenario,....Tell them I have two guns,........Would it make you feel better if YOU HAD ONE OF THEM!!!!! ;)

They may say that the pen is mightier than the sword but given the choice I like the higher carbon content of the sword!  heh
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

glenn kangiser

Very good move I think -- I'm thinking about more while it is possible - and maybe buying one registered one to see if I'm on anybodies list. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

It would be interesting for responders to this topic to tell the rest of us what rules do you have to deal with? Purchase limits, licenses, etc. Of course there's the the federal background check before making a purchase from a FFL dealer. Whay about private sales?

Here in NM there's only the federal background check and most of the time that goes through while you wait, unless you're me; I seem to have my own special 3 hour delay.  ???  No license, no registration, etc.
Open carry allowed under state law plus CCW permits with a training course. Private sales between in state residents have no restrictions.

I know I could research all this, but it makes for conversation and an opportunity to compare and vent.