Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Got the last exterior wall up today

Also the lateral braces

close up of the braces
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

its official you did a very good job looks like you worked very hard today and this week,.,.can"t wait for the side plywood,.,.

Don_P

Looks like you are making progress  :) Don't forget the wind blows from the other way too, brace back under it  ;)

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

Latest  visitor (forgot to close the gate)

started the loft joist

lateral braces the short direction are sandwiched 5' 2x6s

trusses were delivered
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

well looking very good. i know it was hard to but on the 20 footers., i see you have grown horns,., its official you are looking like your mom,.,.lol,.
please send more pics when you have them,.,.dad

Don_P

Nice looking trusses, that takes care of the horizontal spread problem we've talked about with high ties and stick frame rafters. Looks like you got dropped gables to make the overhang framing work better.

The lateral braces you built are good for preventing the girder from rolling, I would add framing angles between brace and girder to lock them in place from sliding. The posts themselves are still unbraced in that direction to my way of thinking though.

Looking at the loft framing (this is not a single story house) I'm not seeing a let in ledger to support the joists. You are supposed to set the joists on something rather than hanging on nails there. A stud nailed up alongside each existing stud, under each joist...or for that matter 2x4's even a 2x2 stood up under each joist would take care of that support instead of the let in ledger.

There was the day I got to the job and the house was full of goats and their calling cards, his longhorns had luckily stopped at the ramp. I still wonder if they would have punched through the subfloor :o

astidham

Thanks Don_P, the loft was a later Idea.
I am putting 2x4 studs under the 2x12s for support, and the trusses are dropped gables.
Also I will put in a 2x6 in the space of the lateral supports!
— Henry Ford

astidham

Got the majority of the sheathing on today with the help of my brother in law Rob

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

wow very impressed todd,. i guess you can move in tommorrow,.,. it looks great ,.,.dad

astidham

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

son when do you start on the trusses? or are you going to finish the plywood sides,.,.then put on the upstairs floor,. man you got things to do,..looks like your getting there,.,.dad

astidham

Trusses are going up today...pics soon to come ;)
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

astidham

Thanks Sassy,
we finished doubling the top plate today, here is Robby the wall walker!

the heat slowed us down today (110 degrees) but we got one gable and one scissor truss.

my beautiful wife in the cabin!

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

very well done,. i know its hot,. but it looks like you are doing great,. the help you have was needed i could tell,.dad  [cool]

glenn kangiser

110 degrees.... you are motivated - good job.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

not finished but did get a couple more trusses up

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

i see you got a man basket great job son,. looking very nice ,.,.dad

astidham

finished putting the trusses up today with my friend Thai

— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

Quote from: astidham on August 08, 2010, 07:01:54 PM
finished putting the trusses up today with my friend Thai

you did very well today,. you and thai., the heat is building but you  will be fine,. did you deside how your putting your roof on? i am sure you will figure that out to ., keep sending the pics,.,.dad

Don_P

At first light tomorrow go out and nail some diagonal 2x4's across the tops of the trusses from wall plate to ridge, at least one on each side at each end, 4 total minimum before a gust picks up  ;) Put a nail into each truss you cross, leave enough head up that you can pull them easily later. I've seen the whole stack tip over in the wind if you get a storm before it has ply on it.

astidham

— Henry Ford