Running a wood stove

Started by dug, November 23, 2010, 11:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

QuoteWas the stove sitting idle outside for a time?  Maybe some mud dauber wasps (or something similar) got into the passages and partially clogged them?  Dunno.  Just guessing.

It was out, under cover for about a year or so. Funny you said that because a friend was just over and said the same thing! I didn't see any flying out but who knows?

Stove has been running with no reload for several hours and still very hot. I'm pleased as punch! ;D

considerations

"An hour later now it is still burning strong and the stove is nice and hot. Yea!!"e..

Boy can I relate...it got down to 8 F here Tuesday night.

MountainDon

Great news! We just came back from the cabin. Lows down to 20 and the highs under 40. Every time I looked at our fire I wondered how you were doing.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sinner

I got a question and I was wondering if any of you knew the answer? How would I install a wood stove if there are trees above where I want to install it and no way to run the pipe above the trees.

MountainDon

Our cabin is surrounded by 70 foot pines, some very close. No problem with the chimney.

What is it that concerns you, the draft or sparks, or ?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sinner

The trees are not very high they are right over my roof the chimney will not touch them but I have always heard that the chimney must be three feet higher than anything around. Maybe I am just paranoid but I had a house burn down when I was 3 and they thought it was wiring or the wood stove?

MountainDon

It's a situation not really mentioned in anything I've read. The distances from here to there always seem to be relating to the roof, distances above the roof. Nothing about trees mentioned. The three foot rule is also within a 10 foot radius of the chimney. Are the trees further away than that? One thing I'd say id that if the branches are closer to the roof than that it may be time to do some thinning of the trees.

The reason for those clearance measurements is for chimney draft. A roof peak too close for example might cause a wind striking the roof to blow back at the chimney top if it was too low. Not sure that tree limbs would have the same effect.

sinner

Thanks alot for the picture. I will try to cut the tree back. I just like having them that close because in the summer they make it really cool in the house hardly used the air even at 90 degress.