Floor Done!

Started by OldDog, September 22, 2007, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDog

HERES THE PIC I MEANT TO ATTACH BEFORE
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

FrankInWI

I agree about the dormers....they are worth it.  I did out garage w/loft next to the upcoming 1 and 1/2 and I built in FOUR dormers!  spaced the trusses at 8ft and doubled those up and had dormers in between.  My arthritus, old war issues, and coming snow made me pay a framing crew for 3 days work to do the top side (after son and I did the first floor).  I know the dormers took more time, but the effect is fantastic.  WELL worth it. I love light and space, our little bonus room grew up right before our eyes!

The framers were fantastic.  We worked there while they were on site too.  $25 per hour per man, but work like crazy they did and they are FAST.  

It's back to Ben and I now, we put in the meter socket (pedestal) and service panel this weekend, 200 AMPS per recommendations including from here.  Hung a LP heater too, but I am wondering if we shouldn't look at low end pellet burner too.  LP costs going insane.   Good thing the thermostat goes down to 35 degrees!  
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

We decided to go with the Toyo oil burner.  Pellets seemed like too much maintenance- cleanings - supply questions and cost --  and the diesel is 90% plus efficient.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

I looked at that TOYO heater at Al's too Glenn.  I may easily regret my decision to take the easy route...."drop in the LP tank".  Everything has gone so crazy.  I see many use the pellet stove and have LP or other dated furnace as back up.  
I'm feeling old these days but it's all relative.  My brother in law is 80, so when my son picked me up from sleeping over there on Sunday morning (Ben slept in the camper....yet to do the first night in the "garage") we unloaded a zillion heavy sacks of pellets from Montana from his pick-up and took them into the house.  I carried one at a time, my beefed up strud son did doubles.  

He told me it'll take about $400 in pellets for the winter.   He also had to take his stove out and take it in for service (heavy) and that cost a couple of hundred...besides the warranty.  Not sure how much he'll really save over the cost of other fuels when the original buy and maintenance is counted in.   Then there is the issue of pellet cost....how stable will that byproduct be.  Supply and demand could change that.
god helps those who help them selves

FrankInWIS

I agreed about the dormers and was anxious to share pictures of my garage's dormers.  this IS a garage, the garage door can't be seen from these views.  Will cheat and use the upper after the inspector is gone (like he told me to) until I cash in on the main homestead and build the 1 1/2.

This weekend son and I put in meter socket and service panel.  Then we hung and hooked up unit heater in the garage.

MountainDon

Hey it's looking nice Frank. I guess you're tickled pink it so far.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That looks great. :)

Nice forklift -- 824 Lull if I'm guessing right -- I have 2 of them. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I like it! Those look like the same shingles I used when I re-roofed my shop.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.