Source for Beams?

Started by fraggin, March 03, 2009, 07:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraggin

Do most of you guys use 4x6 pressure treated beams? Is there any advice against using 4x6 cedar for beams? I have access to enough of these for starting the pier and beam work, but my first opinion was that the density and strength may not be up to par. Also, I priced some pressure treated 4"x6"x16' beams for around $20 each. I suspect I could find them a little less by shopping around.

I'm also getting a rough price list together for a dry in and have a question about the victoria cottage plans. I plan on building a 16x24 version based on these plans.  Do the beams required only run the exterior perimeter of the 16x24 area, or will need more beams than that to support the floor joists?

MountainDon

Beams supported by piers usually run down the long sides. If the floor joists used are large enough there is no need for a central beam.

If you use a full perimeter concrete or concrete block foundation with a full perimeter poured footing you do not need the beams. You would have a PT  "mud sill", a 2x laid flat on top of the concrete and build up from that beginning with the floor joists.

Cedar is not quite as strong as other woods like pine, spruce, fir. I'm not sure if cedar's ability to be split is detrimental to ue as a beam. ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.