Building Offsite and Moving Entire House

Started by boatdreamin, February 18, 2009, 03:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatdreamin

Hello folks!  I've done some searching on this forum and can't quite come up with what I need.  I currently live in a house my wife and I had built several years ago, but we are finding that it is just more than we need.  We are tired of paying to heat and cool it, as well as the upkeep and insurance.  We are way back in the woods on 10 acres, so I was thinking about building a smaller home and then having it moved to a smaller lot once I had it completed.  I really like the Tumbleweed B-53, but with a 16ft width, I'm not sure I would be possible to move it down the road with a house moving company.  Plus, I'm not sure what type of building codes/inspections I would run into here in NC.  I had considered building something in modules, and moving it on trailers myself, but I just don't know where to start.  Does anyone have any ideas, or know anyone that has done this type of thing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

MountainDon

Professional house movers can move just about anything; just pay their price.

I can't recall anyone here actually doing a building move. There's been talk, but that's been about it. Personally I'd rather not build a house and then move it as part of the plan. But that's just me.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FrankInWI

I just have to agree that the price to move it might be shocking.... very high.   Doing the house before the property limits your options though... I'd be looking at modular that you could pull parts of on a normal big flatbed trailer.  You could do that and hire a couple framers to help you get it up real fast. The framers would be very very cheap compared to moving a complete home....even a smaller one.  jsut my thinking, I'm not as experienced as many around here.
god helps those who help them selves