post spacing under my beams

Started by hnash53, March 01, 2007, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

I am constructing two 6x10 beams which will support the long walls of my 16x36 addition to my cabin.  I will be supporting the beams with 6x6 posts.  

Can I go with 8-foot spacing between posts?

Thanks.

Hal

jraabe

Add up the derivative load to the beam and I'll have something to go on.

How many feet of floor load go to the beam?
How about roof load and what is the snow load?
Anything else landing loads on the wall above the beam?

We need to come up with total pounds per lineal foot.

John

hnash53

Guess I don't really know what you're referring to, John.

The addition is going to be 16x36.  I will have 12' walls, 12 in 12 pitched gable roof, and there will be a 20' loft at one end.  Snow load is not a lot with the steep pitched roof and the wind here in Wyoming rarely allows much to ever build up on a roof.

I used 6' spacing for my posts in the original cabin of 16x28 dimension, and 10' walls with lofts at both ends.  That seems to have worked out fine.

I'm just wondering if I could go 8' spacing ... a little easier, but I can stick with 6' spacing if need be.

Thanks for any input.

Hal

glenn-k

I think it is the total of roof load (snow load) req'd in your area - example - 40 lbs per square foot, loft load 30 lbs pr square foot, first floor load 40 lbs per square foot, probably plus dead loads -weight of materials.  Then each area is totaled and applied to the number of footings and the spacing between piers to determine beam size and proper spacing of piers, size of footings etc.

Just a rough idea from me - John knows the real dope. :)

peg_688

I used 6' spacing for my posts in the original cabin of 16x28 dimension, and 10' walls with lofts at both ends.  That seems to have worked out fine.

Hal

I think your own post answer's your question. If your org. cabin is shorter and the walls are also 2' shorter and it worked fine , why would on a longer , and taller structure would you want to INCREACE the post span???

Now if you where asking SHOULD I go to 5' spacing ....... , building to the edge / limits of material never makes good sence / practice to me.  

When in doubt build it stout , whith something you know about!  ;)

A few added posts will soon  be forgotten when the floor does NOT bounce!