Rafter - Joist Question

Started by n74tg, August 18, 2005, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

I'm building a house with 10' exterior walls.  I want to drop the ceiling to 9' and fill the extra foot up with insulation.  So, I want to drop the ceiling joists to the 9' level.  I will not be using roof trusses, must stick frame the roof with ridge and rafters.  I'm expecting rafters to be maybe 18' long each (not counting overhang).

So, my question is -- since ceiling joists will not be connected directly to each rafter, does anybody know of a connection method for connecting rafters to top plate of the wall that will contain the outward forces?  I'm wondering if Simpson makes any kind of a strong-tie that would work.

I'm not too worried about outward forces on the whole wall, as my joists will be just a foot away (from the walls top plate).

peg_688

Humm.   Why not just frame 9' walls put a 2x12 rim on top of it like your floor system. Run your ceiling joist between like your floor , then put your rafters birds mouth right on top of the joist . You could then use a strap over the rafter and back down to both sides of the joist .
  You could sheath right up from the wall onto the rim joist and just make allowance for the thickness on your birds mouth cut .

Wlii the resulting space above be attic or living space ?     Not much difference I'd think you could just sheet the floor then put the rafters on it . The strap / hold down system would be more work but a couple of saw kerfs , one on each side and the strap could just be run thru that slot .   And run right down to tie into the top plates .
  Good luck ,HTBH ;)PEG