How to prevent freezing pipes

Started by suburbancowboy, May 26, 2010, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I have been thinking about how to prevent freezing pipes on the cabin all winter.  I have the cement foundation in now.  I will be putting in a buried water tank 50 feet uphill this summer.  The tank and line to the cabin will be under ground and the water drained in the late fall.  The question I have is how to prevent the pipes from freezing where it comes out of the ground and enters the cabin.  In the early spring and late fall the temperatures on the mountain get down into the high teens and low twenties.  I know about heating tape but there is no power on the mountain.  I have also thought about just draining the lines between uses for everything that is above ground and then putting in some anti freeze in the traps.  I have also thought about putting foam insulation around the pipes but I don't think that would work for temps in the teens.

I am wondering what others have tried and what worked.

Thanks

rick91351

Myself, I like your idea of draining the cabin and tossing a little RV anti freeze in the traps and toilet if you have a flusher.  Great peace of mind when you leave rather come back.  You know "I am not going to have to re-plumb."  In fact in the late fall and early spring you might just store some water there in the cabin.  Mountain Don does and it works great for them.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.