Adding walls to a house

Started by xecutech, December 06, 2008, 11:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xecutech

I want to practice building walls before I start building my house in the country and decided to convert my current carport into an enclosed garage. This would allow me to frame 3 walls with windows and doors. When you add walls to structure that alreay has a roof, like a carport or covered deck, how do you build the walls? I was going to lay the walls out on the floor and build them, but I am thinking that I will not be able to just tilt them up into place?! Do you just build them in as you go?

I am hoping someone here has done this, and maybe has a picture of how to do this.

Thank you.

PEG688

Generally in the situation your posing you plumb down from the existing beam , snap a line between and bolt down using a roto hammer and drive pins or other concrete anchors. Then do your layout for common studs , trimmers , jacks etc , you need to measure and cut each stud  as your existing slab is MTL not level , (but your beam  over head should be level , ) it should in fact be sloped so water runs out of the car port.

You may or may not need to add a "top plate " that depends on what exactly you have existing.

So what your doing is similar in ways , but different in many others , harder in fact than a standard wall built laying on a flat deck with all the same length studs.

Sheathing the wall will be the only thing that is very similar. As you should NOT need structural header at your window in the carport the existing beam should be very close to the right height to act as your headers.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

xecutech

There are metal posts at the 2 outside corners and 1 in the middle. My cousin was telling me that I should build the wall framing between the metal posts and leave them in. Does this make sense to do it this way? I am not sure how to keep it up while I put in the walls any other way. Maybe a floor jack with a 4x4 post? I like the idea of maybe leaving the posts to hold up the roof.

PEG688

Oh there's a way , BUT unless the posts are in the way of a window or door I'd leave them. Other things that MIGHT effect that are IF they are larger / thicker than your new wall , if they are corroded badly , there could be other issues that would lead one to remove them as well.

54' exterior wall removed , new  beam added  :o

Look no hands,  [rofl2] well no beam anyway  :o

Keep in mind gable ends are unique as in not much load in the middle the trusses transfer the weight to the end walls , the middle is sort of just there.

Don't try this at home , closed course , professional driver , etc etc .  ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

That's what my grandson said when we made the last trip in the Bush Hog.  We were turning around by about a 30' drop.  He said, "Don't try this at home, kids." d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.