nail guns useable with brackets?

Started by FrankInWIS, October 04, 2007, 06:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWIS

question about nailing guns please.  Sorry for the flurry of questions, but take off work and build all week is upon us.  

Time is an issue, and money is becoming one.  DO I buy a good nailing gun.   HD has that super cordless orange one (Paslode) that is battery and gas operated for $299.  never seen it cheaper.  course then there's the special nails, and the gas cartridges....

I'm using a lot of framing brackets building my garage /loft.  A LOT of them, some ladder framing between trusses in areas I'm building dormers, etc.  I'm not lazy, and for my son there is something to be said about learning by driving nails.....but time is of essense.  Just two of us, can only take of X long, and winter IS coming too!  

:-? ARE the guns accurate enough to point to hit the holes in the rafer brackets, joist brackets, framing bracketts, etc. etc.  Or are they so powerful the make their own hole?  If we buy it, could save us big time ....if it's usable on the brackets.  Advise and / or experience please?  Thanks much...  : 8-)

rdzone

the paslode is not set up for nailing brackets, however there are nail guns made for nailing bracket (simpson ties) like the bostitch strap shot.  These guns allow a portion of the nail to stick out.  You place the point of the nail in the hole on the bracket and pull the trigger.  The one I have is used with a compressor.....definately a time saver.   It uses paper collated nails also made by bostitch especially for hangers and brackets.  

hope this helps

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BOS%5FFRAM%5FNAILER&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=MCN150&SDesc=STRAPSHOT%26%238482%3B+Metal+Connector+Nailer
Chuck

glenn kangiser

Most cases - no - not safe.  The nails will ricochet like bullets. The nails usually sit inside the guard at the end so can't be lined up with the holes.

As I recall there was a gun or two made especially for nailing brackets and the single nail palm nailer will work as you put the nail in the hole then drive it in with the palm nailer by pushing which activates the air trigger.

QuoteThey do have guns that shoot joist hanger nails. The gun resembles a palm nailer, but has a magazine to hold collated nails that have full heads.

An example would be the Grip-Rite GR150 and GR250 joist-hanger nailers. I'm sure you can find them on the internet if you search. But I doubt this is something you'd ever find in a rental store.

...and    ...I just read up on those, hitachi, paslode and bostitch make them they are called positive placement nailers. I never even knew such a thing existed. Expensive and not rentable in my area, and unfortunately not available with longer then 2.5" nails. I'm using double sheer joist hangers and they require 3.25" nails. So I think I'm still going to go with the palm nailer, seems like the best for this application.

Jeff

and ...Get a palm nailer. They only cost between $75-$100 and are very flexible. I purchased one last week to finish assembling my deck framing using simpson hangers and 10D galvanized nails and it made the job so easy. It easily gets into those tight places and also works great toe-nailing joists.

I was able to do nearly 4 times the work in the same amount of time using the palm nailer than I was able to do with a hammer.

and ...Turns out a positive placement nailer would work, there are reduced load ratings on simpson's site for using positive placement 2.5" nailers. Still cost prohibitive as this is not my career just a weekend job.

from http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=267615
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWIS

you're answers are priceless. Can't thank you enough.  I almost had myself talked in to spending money I didn't have on something that really wouldn't do the job I need it to.   I AM going to check out that palm nailer!

MountainDon

There's an altitude limit on that Paslode. Not sure what it is; maybe 5000 ft elevation and lower. ????
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

For some applications there are those special short 1 1/2"  8D and 10D joist hanger nails. They're so short and easy to hand nail I wouldn't bother with power nailers. IMO

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/nails.html
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

For the very budget challenged job, here is one from Harbor Freight.   I have had pretty good luck with their air tools and they are guaranteed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93496

Drive 3d through 60d nails without the arm strain of swinging a hammer. No expensive stick or coil nails required.

* Handles nails to 8 gauge
   * Drives nails up to 3-1/2" long
   * 1000 blows per minute
   * Genuine leather tool glove

Air requirement: 2 to 4 CFM ; Air pressure: 75-125 PSI; Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT; Tool dimensions: 4-3/4'' L x 3-1/4'' W x 5-1/4'' H, Tool weight: 2.90 lbs.

ITEM 93496-0VGA

$39.99  

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWIS

went on line and ordered bostich palm nailer kit.  can't wait to use it!

glenn kangiser

It will drive them as fast as you can feed them to it.

I do 6 inch spikes with mine- it is a Senco - extra adapter for pole barn spikes is $25 appx

glenn kangiser

I even nailed corrugated roofing with nails that had washers with mine.  In that case it will drive the nail right through the sheet metal - corrugated I do the high rib and stop just after it compresses a bit.

I did this roof and drove the spikes for the framing with it.

Very versatile.  Does them all.

MarkAndDebbie

You'll love the bostich palm nailer. I drove nails into the brackets with mine.

Jens

The palm nailer is definitely the way to go for economy's sake.  The strap shot is awesome, and if you do a lot of hanger work is worth every penny.  It is also the only connector nailer (to the best of my knowledge) that lets the first nail protrude to locate the hole.  The others have little probes that you stick into the hole for locating, but I have heard that they don't always work right.  Bostitch has a framing nailer, with a replaceable nose that makes it a connector nailer.  Cost a little more than either, but is two tools.  It also uses a probe to locate.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

bought the strap shot on clearance at Lowes for half price...$120!  Thinking about going and getting the last one they have too.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

NM_Shooter

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 04, 2007, 08:33:23 PM
For the very budget challenged job, here is one from Harbor Freight.   I have had pretty good luck with their air tools and they are guaranteed.

I had very bad luck with the HF palm nailer... I bought two, and both failed on me during tests in my garage.  I ended up buying a bostitch.  Maybe I just got a couple of sour ones?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

Fool me once ... I'd say stay away from them then if you had problems with two.  I think they may have different suppliers for some lines so I would forget their palm nailer then.  I have the Senco.

I also had a failure on their 1200 watt inverter - guarantee 30 days with receipt.  It lasted a few months but did not start right all of the time either.

davidj

Quote from: NM_Shooter on December 30, 2009, 11:27:47 AM
I had very bad luck with the HF palm nailer... I bought two, and both failed on me during tests in my garage.  I ended up buying a bostitch.  Maybe I just got a couple of sour ones?

My HF palm nailer's still going fine after a year or so.  I found it was a little tedious to use on a small pancake compressor but I like it a lot more now I've got a bigger DeWalt compressor.  It payed for itself doing the barge rafters alone but it helped out in several other situations where an amateur hammer wielder like myself was never gonna get a nail in.