Awning windows instead of double hung?

Started by ToddSInGA, February 02, 2009, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddSInGA

On this site it seems that every cabin/small house is fitted with a large number of standard double hung windows, but I'm wondering how using awning windows (hinged on the top so they push out when opened) would work in thier place?

In my current apartment the bedroom has a very large double hung window about 18" above the floor, rendering that entire wall relatively useless to me, especially since it's the wall I'd prefer to place the head of my bed against! It's also poorly insulated, but that's another discussion  ??? If this place had a awning window placed higher there would still be great natural lighting as well as useable wall space (at least for my tastes).

As far as double hung's in a loft, wouldn't you rather have more wall space to use anyway?

Just my 2c (or in this economy 1.875c!)

MountainDon

I don't like windows that go that far down to the floor. We have some in our house that are 15" above floor level. I'd rather have the bottom of the window closer to three feet from the floor. That's what we did in the cabin.

I believe one of the reasons for using double hung in many situations is they are normally less expensive than casement or awning. For one thing, most of the bargain windows don't even make them as far as I've noticed. I really like casement windows (awning turned sideways). But we opted for sliders because of the cost of the casements.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

awning windows usually aren't big enough to meet egress req's which could be a problem in most cases.  I like them.  I like hoppers too, which open in at the top.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

tesa

i adore casement windows, but the checkbook doesn't

double hung it is

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

Rover

Here is my equivalent $2.20 in Canadian funds.
Casements:  I've had them at my permanent residence and replaced them after approx 15 yrs.  The hardware rusted causing difficult use and the window unit starting sagging when opened.  Replaced with new casements with stainless steel hardware.  But the family will still jamb them wide open by overcranking them.  And they sometimes they try to crank them with the lock engaged.  Of course casements are nice because there is no centre mullion to obstruct the view.  They also grab any breeze outside and direct the air in better than other types.

Awning.  Offers rain protection if left open.  And again no centre mullion which is a plus.

Double Hung:  I'd go with them in bedrooms and other rooms where a big clear view isn't needed.  I'd think they are lower maintenance than casements but likely same as awning type.

tesa

i had heard that casements offer better air circulation, since we've got some time before
that decission really has to be made, maby i'll keep dreaming

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

John_C

In a single or double hung widow only ~ 1/2  the window area can be open.  Casement or awning windows allow much more of the opening to be revealed.  Both are a liability in areas where you would walk close to the house.  It's easy to inadvertently walk into a sharp edge of an open window.  Awning windows generally have the highest air infiltration when closed. They have more weatherstripping and more complicated mechanical parts so they age less gracefully.

Awning windows are deservedly popular in warm weather areas.  In my FL house we could leave the awning windows open a bit in all but the heaviest rain storms.

lobster

another advantage of casement & awning windows is they open outwards therefore the screen is safe and protected on the inside and thus it gets no wear & tear from rain, wind & snow, and never has to be removed & stored.