Michael Phelps smoking marijuana

Started by Curtis, February 02, 2009, 05:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/150832/14-times-Olympic-gold-medal-winner-Michael-Phelps-caught-with-bong-cannabis-pipe.html

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. A college kid, acting like a college kid.

I mean, you'd have to get blazed if you had to consume (force feed) 12,000 calories daily for training... Not that I have had any experience with this menace to society, this evil plant... marijuana! ;)
-Curtis

considerations

I'm amazed at how sophisticated the equipment has become.  If I hadn't recognized the pose, I wouldn't have recognized the act.   

Curtis

I just hope he doesnt get stripped of any medals.

considerations, judging by the photo, he's smoking out a Roor bong. That particular brand runs upwards of $300. Its some fine glass work (or so i've been told...)

But I guess when you're an Olympic Champion, you should be carefull to make sure that your friends aren't taking pictures of you partying.
-Curtis

considerations

Roor bong?  There are brand names?  My oh my.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

Isn't that a big capital 'R' just above his right thumb?

???    ???

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

tanya

well I think if he was smoking when he won the medals he should have to give them up after all it's the Olympics.  If he is on his own time though.... and not in training...  and not dong anything else like driving or anything I see no harm in it.  And I would also argue that when one is smoking pot they have a certain expectation of privacy, so the guy withthe camera should be in trouble.   
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

muldoon

I smoked the stuff when I was 23 too.  so did our last 3 presidents in their own words.   so, personally I'll skip the moral high ground on this one. 

I wouldn't say its the end of the world ..  but it certainly is unfortunate.  I dont really think any less of him as a person, but then again I didnt think all that much of him just because he was an athlete.  he seems like a mostly regular guy who received a huge lump of attention and money dropped on him and he rode it and partied like any 20-something would do.  yeah it's dumb, but understandable. 

glenn kangiser

The way I see it, I have had to get rid of my former employees who smoked pot as they became too apathetic - nothing got done , so I think if he can do it and if he was smoking it when he did then he must be even better than the medals give him credit for.  I can be slow without doing pot. d*

I never inhaled -- I never even lit up... I'm still a virgin... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

This would be so far down my list of things to get concerned about it would fall off the edge of the world!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 03, 2009, 01:05:24 AM
The way I see it, I have had to get rid of my former employees who smoked pot as they became too apathetic - nothing got done , so I think if he can do it and if he was smoking it when he did then he must be even better than the medals give him credit for.  I can be slow without doing pot. d*

I never inhaled -- I never even lit up... I'm still a virgin... [waiting]
LOL, me too.  I had to google "bong". Sounds like a stupid made-up word of recent origin (ie. "blog" or "text" as a verb.) 

John_C

Drug testing at the Olympics was quite comprehensive. I doubt he was doing any at that time.  But there are probably sponsors reading the fine print in their contracts with him to see if they can dump him.  I remember seeing some reports that he had signed lots of endorsement contracts... $10M +  IIRC.

In the end it will cost him a lot of money.  Doing what college kids do.  Odd behavior, photographed and posted online...  priceless.

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

MountainDon

I was waiting for that!!  Took a while.  ???

I was going to ask how do they get away with selling bongs on line? Thought drug paraphernalia could get you arrested too.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

answered my question ... the roor bong wesbsite is not in the USA, or they ship from outside the USA; probably comes in a plain brown wrapper and you have to hope US Customs doesn't take an interest in the package. Seeds for sale too.   ::)

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

Depends on where you are except for feds---possession of less than 4 oz for personal use is legal in Alaska--Our state constitution has an explicit privacy right which covers that per state supreme court----explicit privacy right is unique to our constitution in US.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

Half pound for medicinal use in CA I am told.  Not for me though. d*

John_C

river place

MountainDon

Kellogg's dropped him today.

K tells me that he had a DWI shortly after his first Olympics (6 medals)..I think he's mostly guilty of making poor choices.

MountainDon

WASHINGTON (Feb. 9) - Marijuana use may increase the risk of developing testicular cancer, in particular a more aggressive form of the disease, according to a U.S. study published on Monday.

The study of 369 Seattle-area men ages 18 to 44 with testicular cancer and 979 men in the same age bracket without the disease found that current marijuana users were 70 percent more likely to develop it compared to nonusers.

http://news.aol.com/health/article/marijuana-use-linked-to-testicular/333866

glenn kangiser

There you go guys-- do not keep your stash down your pants. [waiting]