Cabella's gun department

Started by Windpower, December 17, 2012, 08:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

I stopped into Cabellas yesterday for some targets
There were at least 15 clerks behind the gun counter and you had to 'take a number'

I stood around and listened -- most were buying or looking at hand guns

many were obviously new to guns ---

Clerk "now this is a semi-automatic Glock"

Customer "OK where  do the bullets go"

Clerk snapping out magazine "the cartriges load into the magazine"

Customer " What size bullet does to take"

Clerk "This is a 40 SW"
etc etc

Clerk2 "We can hold both of the guns and when you get your FOID then you can come back and pay for them and fill out the forms"

This is near Chicago -- in IL you have to have a fire arm owner ID issued by the state
They had a long line at the front with people filling out the forms for the FOID and getting pictures taken etc

There was a feeding frenzy atmosphere back there --- people with carts full of ammo etc

Not sure what is happening but I am glad we are moving to WI

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

flyingvan

This happens whenever there's a mass shooting.  Even in Wisconsin.  Liberals immediately try to leverage the tragedy (never wanting a crisis to go to waste) to push more gun restrictions.  Connecticut HAS gun restrictions.  Good people follow those laws, bad do not.  Banning guns would be about as effective as banning street drugs.  The real problem needs to be addressed.
     The argument is backwards though.  Whenever an insane person surfaces with a gun and causes this sort of national tragedy, the knee jerk reaction is to restrict guns for the law abiding.  Areas, like Israel, that arm their teachers have it right. 
     Do you understand why the second amendment was and is necessary?  It isn't, as Obama put it, "To protect our hunting heritage".  It is so the citizens can overthrow an overly oppressive government.  Our founders recognized it as essential to a free state.  With freedom comes responsibility, and there will always be those who abuse their freedom and free will---with or without guns. 
     Too many Americans have lost sight of the deep value of liberty and the need for a small and limited government.  Those who choose to vote themselves entitlements don't see the cost in liberty they pay.  When they also choose to disarm themselves, they've given government even more power.
     I just want to have the same protection for my kids Michelle, Natasha and Malia get.  Are Obama's kids more important than mine?  Remember, this is the same administration that channeled some pretty high powered weapons to Mexican drug cartels, resulting in the death of Americans.   Where's the outcry against that?  What sort of insanity makes a nation's leader arm enemies and disarm citizens?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

NM_Shooter

What is happening is that people are reacting to the bans that they believe are forthcoming. 

Rather than focus on the wielder, we are going to focus on the weapon. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

flyingvan

My hammer built the cottage all by itself.  Who wants to buy my hammer?  It's built two houses so far.  If we give hammers to the homeless they'll have homes, too.
Find what you love and let it kill you.