Homestead Invasive Weed Control Programs

Started by rick91351, July 03, 2011, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

For the last several years the United States Forest Service which boarders on a lot of our properties up where our ranch is at has hosted 'Spray Days'.  They would give classes and instructions on control of invasive weeds and even provide the spays to match up with the invasive species that we are occurring.  This year it was handled differently in that they worked with the county extension agency.  We the property owners could trade time and resources for spay.  Once again it all comes with instruction and paper work.  Charging off to the job human time, four-wheeler time, pick-up time, sprayer time and such.  I even noticed on their forms boats, water trucks and horses listed.   The form also requires notes of the invasive species sprayed and such. 

I am not a big fan of a lot of these radical toxic sprays.  They do a tremendous amount of harm yet so do invasive weed species.  If we can get around them we do.  But there seem to be time and purpose for all things I guess.  So the last couple years we chose to participate and have made real headway on a patch of white top. (Do not mistake yarrow for white top.)  We have seen some control of knapweed and some thistle as well.

If you notice any new plants or weeds starting around your cabin sites, particularly after excavation and any equipment disturbing the ground.  You might look in to what is available in your area, be it trading spay for time or county weed control.  Just do not let invasive weeds get started.  The fore-mentioned white top started when a contractor off loaded some heavy equipment near by.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

Wow, I wish we could get that type of assistance, good job. I've battled Ailanthus, tree of heaven here and on homeowners property. The forest here has a no harvest policy... of invasives and natives, They are providing one heck of a seed bank. Some others here are multiflora rose, barberry, autumn olive and recently we've had japanese stiltgrass show up anywhere there has been a soil disturbance, the equipment seems to be moving it around and it thrives where other grasses fail, road edges into the woods. These all squeeze out our natives and we didn't seem to import their native control. It is worth talking with your local extension and forestry folks and finding out what to look for and then working on it. Construction entails alot of soil disturbance and that is usually when they get a foothold. At a recent forestry group meeting the local extension agent gave a very good talk showing many of our invasives and proper control measures. They are a great resource.

glenn kangiser

The only thing I would caution about these programs as well as other "free" programs from governement is to watch out for any contracts you have to sign giving them rights to file claims against you for non-performance of agreed continued actions on your part.

Such as them dropping by in 18 years on a 20 year contract and finding what you agreed to eradicate.... would they then own your land?  Remedies by them are non-specific in the contracts I have seen here for free stuff, in this case from the federal government.  Will they then own the land that the farmer got the grant for , for $40000 for erosion control?   hmm 

Maybe not if they don't want it, but what if they do?  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 03, 2011, 09:02:03 AM
The only thing I would caution about these programs as well as other "free" programs from governement is to watch out for any contracts you have to sign giving them rights to file claims against you for non-performance of agreed continued actions on your part.
--------------------------snip -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not if they don't want it, but what if they do?  [waiting]

Thanks Glenn but absolutely nothing is signed or required in the form of a contract.  Simple trade - time and resources - for spray.  And where it is done by the property owner, rather than county weed control.  That is a plus because you do not have strangers or people you just as soon not have there walking all over your property.

If they want a contract short or long term everyone I know would opt out.....

Thanks again  ;)

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Sassy

A nurse friend of mine used to volunteer to take students out to eradicate star thistle, through one of these types of agencies.  Most of the time they'd pull it up & bag it as the weed is so hardy that even when picked, it would still form the flowers & then the thistles w/out water or root systems.  I've pulled up a lot of this weed but everytime Glenn does some digging or clearing w/his Bobcat, there's a whole new fresh crop  d*

She & others would educate students/local residents on what the star thistles look like & how to eradicate them.

I tried for a couple years to kill off the poison oak - would carry a 5 gal back pack full of killer specific to the stuff but didn't make any headway - it would kill some of the above ground shoots but wouldn't touch the extensive underground roots  >:(

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rick91351

Sassy interesting side note to Yellow Star Thistle is it is toxicology reports in horses attributed to equine nigropallidal encephalomacia or chewing disease  -

Damage
Yellow starthistle poses a serious potential threat to nearly all semi-arid rangeland in the western U.S. due to its ability to colonize and spread rapidly on disturbed soils. It is palatable to livestock and is an important forage plant until it produces sharp spines on the flower head that deter grazing animals, causing poor pasture utilization. It also forms smothering infestations and reduces the pasture production of other forage species through competition. Extensive roots grow much faster and deeper than annual grasses, forming dense monotypic infestations of yellow starthistle.

This plant is toxic to horses in large amounts, causing equine nigropallidal encephalomacia ("chewing disease"). The first signs of poisoning are an inability to eat or drink as the muscles of the lips, face, and tongue become stiff and swollen, giving the horse a fixed expression. Poisoning eventually results in permanent brain damage, and severely affected animals eventually die of thirst and starvation. Sheep, cows and other livestock are not affected (Kingsbury 1964; Cordy 1978).

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rick91351 on July 03, 2011, 07:40:04 PM
Thanks Glenn but absolutely nothing is signed or required in the form of a contract.  Simple trade - time and resources - for spray.  And where it is done by the property owner, rather than county weed control.  That is a plus because you do not have strangers or people you just as soon not have there walking all over your property.

If they want a contract short or long term everyone I know would opt out.....

Thanks again  ;)

Nice to know, Rick.  Thanks.

We get free mosquito fish in Mariposa with no strings too.... too small to eat anyway... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rick91351 on July 04, 2011, 01:06:12 AM
Sassy interesting side note to Yellow Star Thistle is it is toxicology reports in horses attributed to equine nigropallidal encephalomacia or chewing disease  -

Damage
Yellow starthistle poses a serious potential threat to nearly all semi-arid rangeland in the western U.S. due to its ability to colonize and spread rapidly on disturbed soils. It is palatable to livestock and is an important forage plant until it produces sharp spines on the flower head that deter grazing animals, causing poor pasture utilization. It also forms smothering infestations and reduces the pasture production of other forage species through competition. Extensive roots grow much faster and deeper than annual grasses, forming dense monotypic infestations of yellow starthistle.

This plant is toxic to horses in large amounts, causing equine nigropallidal encephalomacia ("chewing disease"). The first signs of poisoning are an inability to eat or drink as the muscles of the lips, face, and tongue become stiff and swollen, giving the horse a fixed expression. Poisoning eventually results in permanent brain damage, and severely affected animals eventually die of thirst and starvation. Sheep, cows and other livestock are not affected (Kingsbury 1964; Cordy 1978).

That is bad, because I never trust a horse with a fixed expression... you can never tell what they are thinking. 

Not funny... I know.        [waiting]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 07, 2011, 07:42:26 AM
That is bad, because I never trust a horse with a fixed expression... you can never tell what they are thinking.  

Not funny... I know.        [waiting]

Horses like most animals do express themselves with facial and eye expression.  Sad - now days most people only know cows, horses and other livestock at 70 MPH on country roads.

Sad for me I guess being born and raise on a farm or ranch but not sad for most.  Most will never see a calf born, nor will have the opportunity to help birth one.  Oh ya!  Two o'clock in the morning.  Minus -10 degrees and a first calf heifer that decides now is the time.  But does not have a clue what is going on!!

The cute little heifer does not have a clue to Lamazs Birthing.  Some how PUSH, PUSH does not seem to work.  Next thing you hear yourself say "Okay I'm going in!"  That does not mean into the house by the way.  You help her, she jumps up, some times look lovingly at the new born calf and some times just make a run for you clearing out the corral and anything close.  the look is one of infuriated mama.  You id this by eyes now on fire, they are bulging wide open almost popping out of her thick skull.  Nice cow now means the same as PUSH, PUSH did a moment ago.  Makes little matter that you helped pull this little critter.  Now she her primal instinct is to kill you.... There is no thank you, no gratitude as she puts you over the top rail of the corral fence. Sad when most will never break a colt to lead or to ride.  But then for most there is never a need nor connection in todays world.      

Another reason I can think of why the USFS or BLM and the county wants to work hand in hand with the local land owners in this area.  In being a good neighbor like this there is less chance of invasive weeds spreading onto them or from them on to your property.  This way we can catch them where they are.  It the picture we are spaying some white top that migrated to the road right away as well as some thistle we do not know who to blame for it.

The short of it is most land owners or land managers know where the infestations are and are very willing to take care of them.  However with some of these sprays they require education and ability to apply with knowledge.  They are not available to most people and the old standby sprays do a lot more harm than some of the more selective applications.  I know I had to ask myself why use an application of a cocktail of 24D and Roundup when something might be there that will do a job better.  

Over the Fourth we rode all the country we have sprayed and the native grasses looked good and the broadleaf verities suffered greatly.  Most all the thistle we hit was shriveled and had turned brown.  We do have some that roots very deep and spreads via shoots.  That is a different animal all together.                  

Sassy

rofl  That was some exciting night you had there helping that young heifer  ;)  Only animal I've seen give birth is the feline.  Have seen a lot of human babies being born, helped some of the mothers during labor & delivery - in a hospital, though. 

The star thistle is awful - everytime Glenn works the ground, it comes up very healthy & lush the next season  d*  Didn't know it could do that to horses.  Glad it doesn't bother cows, though.

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rick91351

Quote from: Sassy on July 08, 2011, 04:35:09 PM
rofl  That was some exciting night you had there helping that young heifer  ;)  Only animal I've seen give birth is the feline.  Have seen a lot of human babies being born, helped some of the mothers during labor & delivery - in a hospital, though. 

The star thistle is awful - everytime Glenn works the ground, it comes up very healthy & lush the next season  d*  Didn't know it could do that to horses.  Glad it doesn't bother cows, though.

Sassy, that was the story played over many times but not always.  Most never get that way, at one time we would calve twenty to thirty first calf heifers per year.  That was from when I was a youngin' up into my twenties.  (And a few older cows that ran into trouble and they were just as if not more grateful.)  Now we are wanting to move back to the homestead!!!  Truth is we were never far away from it anyway.   ;)

For those that might sort of be new livestock owners and homesteaders.  If Bossy has a calf.  And you decide to walk up and see if it is a he or a she.  Never ever trust Bossy even though you might of yesterday hand fed her, scratched and rubbed her as you sang hymns and lullabies to her.  If she is acting wierd and giving you the hairy eyeball after she calves. [shocked]  Give her some time and some space.   [scared]  In a week or so most likely she will be over post-pardom many times sooner.       

Equipment owners for the part are very studious about not spreading weeds and seeds.  It just happens.  And not all are invasive species.  We have some great stands of Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir where logging equipment disturbed the top soil.  Native grasses often come back very strong as well.

I am thinking of trying to start one of your planting beds this year.  Even though from what I have read they suggest using one only deciduous trees and plants.  The bulk of our stuff is coniferous.  So will just have to see how it all turns out....           

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the ranch hand wisdom there, Rick.  Might just help to keep me from from sticking on a horn like a piece of meat on a barbecue skewer, though I generally watch those horny cows pretty close most of the time.  [waiting]

They have been running wild since they were young and are not quite friendly enough to let me get more than an occasional touch when they are eating grain.  I am hoping that she doesn't have any problems as I don't know if I can even be around when she has it.  I have several friends that would show up for me if necessary and all of them have been around cows quite a bit.

My uncle had a mean cow one time... had the evil eye..... we always knew which one she was. [ouch]