mylar space blanket used as a vapor barrier

Started by guest, October 04, 2005, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylar space blanket used as a vapor barrier, will it work? pros, cons, worth the hassle of taping all the seems? normal insulation would be used, i'm thinking i might use cellulose with the solid blue stuff ??? over that.

the more i think about it the space blanket might have to be between the studs and wall covering. i'm hopeing to use some kind of cheap no-voc plaster, if i can find some that is.

jraabe

The space blanket would not have any insulation value if it is covered with an interior finish. (It would need a dead air cavity for the reflective properties to come into play).

As a vapor barrier, on the warm in winter side of the wall, 4 or 6 mil poly is easy to put up.

If you are doing plaster or drywall, the least expensive vapor barrier is a good job on the airsealing and then two coats of PVA primer for the VB.

bil2054

I think space blankets would be prohibitively expensive anyway.  I know one blanket is pretty cheap, but by the time you buy enough to cover even a small living space, plus tape, etc, OUCH!

There are other types of radiant insulation which I am sure are cheaper and easier to install.  Home Depot carries some, for instance, and often  :-/  has the literature reccomending how to install it.