Mini-homestead

Started by revival, July 20, 2012, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revival

I am just starting out and haven't got a big enough area cleared yet to start actual construction but I have a 120 sqft. cordwood home planned.  I am designing it to have a loft added and eventually an addition on the back side.  I also plan to make an old travel trailer into a massage studio since I am a massage therapist.  I am located near Charleston, SC and I am having great luck finding like minded people and individuals that can donate building supplies.  I have started a blog at revivalnatural.wordpress.com as well as a facebook page (also revivalnatural) so I can share my experience with others.  I can't wait to meet some of you.  I'm sure I've got a ton to learn!
Charleston, SC area :)

Squirl

Welcome.   w*
There are plenty of people here to help.  I look forward to hearing more about your plan.

What made you settle on cordwood?

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

revival

http://revivalnatural.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/looking-up/ the little clearing I have so far.  I will be borrowing a chainsaw next week and it should start getting larger faster.  I have all of the underbrush pulled out by the roots and burned it in my little camp fire while spending the night a week ago.  I have most of the parts out there to put in a shallow well, which is legal to do "for irrigation or other agricultural purposes" where I am doing it.  Also, I am carefully following all codes pertaining to shallow well placement.  Once this is done I can get everything together to pour the foundation slab.  I have used floorplanner.com to design the structure but I'm not sure how to share that on here plus I have roofing issues on that program lol. 
I am still trying to find out what minimum square footage will be to get it approved for occupancy, but I am doing it in stages that will allow me to have a place to stay and store tools, material, and equipment, while doing the part of the home that will have permits.  I plan on keeping the whole thing off grid and will (hopefully) be relying on a generator bartered for on craigslist for any power needed during construction.  I should be able to get up te timber frame part and have a roof to work under and keep the cordwood dry so I can get it peeled and ready to cut and build with.  If I do not produce enough sawdust the guy I am borrowing the chainsaw from has a friend out by my place who owns a sawmill.  I am hoping to have the 120sqft finished by spring.  I want to get some growing beds done in the next month so I can get some fall crops in.  I am half tempted to take tomorrow off work and go put in the well, but I have Sunday off so I will probably wait until tomorrow afternoon to go out there.  I get anxious when I know it is almost time to go out and work on it.  I think I will camp again :D

revival

I had already made a post about why I chose hardwood but it seems to have somehow gotten lost in the interwebs. 
I chose cordwood for a few reasons.  I have a ton of trees that will need to be cut down and are too small to be taken to the sawmill for lumber.  Since I live in southern SC using it as firewood would take years.  It is mostly pine, which is good for cordwood (not as good as cedar but better than oak for this use) and not really very good for firewood.  Also I am going to be able to borrow a chainsaw.  I would like to stay off grid and being able to make the cuts with a chainsaw means I will not need to rely on electric so much during the build.  The thickness of the walls doesn't count toward the square footage of the structure, which would have been a deal breaker for a cordwood tiny home. 

revival

I meant to say cordwood, not hardwood up there.  Hardwoods are not good for cordwood construction actually.  The fibers are too tight so they offer less insulation and shrink and expand more, which will crack the mortar much sooner.

revival

drainl

Sounds very interesting - looking forward to following your project!

Squirl

It sounds like you did your homework on the method.  I was a little worried when you said 120 sq. ft., because the walls are usually 12" thick.

Most literature I read on the method recommends drying the wood for years before building.  It sounds like you are ready to go.  How do you plan on getting the moisture content low enough?

Squirl

I read your post about getting a HF folding trailer.  I built most of my house with one.  I would suggest the 12" tires over the 8" tires.  It has a much higher load capacity and the 12" tires are a lot better when getting off of a paved road.  Don't forget the 20% off coupon.